Winter is coming - preps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Francis

The garden was splashed with morning sun at 0700 this morning but I could feel the precursor of Autumnal chill on my skin. Maybe an Indian Summer will ghost through later, but we're headed for the dark times eventually.

Rather than delay, I made a few changes to commuting rig ahead of time.

- lights mounted permanently (two Smart 10W (IIRC) on the forks, 2 x Cateye LD600 on the back).
- winter gloves added to the waterproofs in the always-on pannier (also contains cape & overtrousers)
- Marathon Plus tyres (to be fitted later when I can face the wrestling involved) to replace Summer rubber.

And that's it. Not much difference but I feel prepared for the equinoctial gales, winter rain, and perpetual darkness.

The only thing to fear is fear itself. And ice.

Drago

Legendary Member
My preparation consists of cleaning and servicing my summer commuter, and swapping it for my already cleaned and serviced winter commuter.

Tin Pot

Guru
Toes frozen this morning, I need:

Lights for riding country lanes at night
Cycling shoes for long winter rides

Happy to receive suggestions...

OP
OP
Francis

Francis

Toes frozen this morning, I need:

Lights for riding country lanes at night
Cycling shoes for long winter rides

Happy to receive suggestions...

I suspect "which lights?" is probably an epic thread in its own right - with pro and anti dynamo forces being the main factions and a myriad of sub-sects fighting out over brands, bottle v hub, and LED spread. And inevitably, some oldster chanting the line that "incandescents are good enough for anyone".

Personally, I go for cheap battery lights and always have at least two fore and aft. I've done the expensive hub dynamo thing - but the bike got nicked!

For footwear, I've got some Shimano SPD walking boots. Once encased over the ankles by overtrousers, I'm pretty watertight. Which is fortunate as I commute in civvies and have a flood prone (field run-off, overflown rivers, and overtopping sea!) commute route.

My winter prep is to give my Alfine innards an oil dip, lube the foldy hinges of my frame, check for transmission wear. Basically, I expect the bike to run until March with only chain lube for maintenance.
I also dig out and check my DIY studded tyres, and patch any bolt heads showing on the inside.
I wish I had some spare wheels to fit them for a swift and painless transition, but with Alfine and hub dynamo, most of the bike value is in the wheels.

Stevie Mcluskey

Über Member
New set of mudguards fitted on commuter today for me.Last set only lasted one winter and back one cracked and split in two places last week. Lights will be looked out this week for the mornings ride in to work.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm waiting for a Bar Xtender I've ordered then my front lights will go on the Flyer I brought earlier this year, theres not enough room on the handle bars for hands and lights, I've already fitted the carrier mounted rear light, when I can find what I did with the mounting bracket my rear flasher will go on the bike as well, I also need to change the chain.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
96 F here today. But dropping to 73 for a high by late in the week. New tires (Hutchinson Pythons) ordered, starting to rehabilitate an old 29'er for the snow.

Top Bottom