Winter is coming...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny91

So I bought a bike this summer and was riding every few days leisurely - just wearing a jersey and shorts with a raincoat in my saddle bag for the English showers.

What do I need to buy to keep warm for the winter? I haven't ridden since around September time now and want to get back into it. I have tracksuit bottoms and general sports hoodies if these would be any good to wear - or do I need to purchase long sleeved stuff/compression tops?

Also, is it safe to ride around on normal hybrid tires or do I need to get chunkier ones? I am on a tight budget so don't really want to swap them.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Multi layers are a key part of your winter wardrobe. Usually mine consists of a base layer, long or short sleeve cycling jersey next (dependant on temperature), then soft shell jacket. Top layer will be a lightweight jacket for some windproofing.

SteveBM

+1
Layers are key. This weekend at 4 degrees I was out I a winter base layer, winter jersey and gilet
I run pretty hot so haven't yet needed my soft shell jacket

GentlyBenevolent

In summer I was fine in a set of shorts and a poly/breathable general sports top. Went out on sunday and the temp was about 10C for the whole ride (according to the Garmin). I was slightly too warm in a base layer top, poly sports top, lidl cycling jacket, lidl leg warmers, normal gloves and shorts. I think either the base layer or the poly top could've been left out. However, I'm happy that the above combo will see me down to any temps I'm happy riding in (i.e. above 0C, or very dry days if it's below).

The main thing to keep in mind is the cycle (ahem) of heating up and cooling down with your effort. If you get hot going up a hill you'll sweat. If your clothing doesn't wick it away then once you get cool off on the flat/downhill you'll stay cold but you'll still be clammy. The gear I'm using does wick away, so even though I was a little too warm it wasn't worth stopping to sort it out. It doesn't have to be expensive (mine is all lidl/aldi gear except the shorts and gloves), but make sure it will wick/be breathable.

Brommyboy

Über Member
I ride the same tyres summer and winter - Brompton ordinary on the Brommy, and Marathon ordinary on the other. Layered clothing does not have to be cycle clothing! Ron Hill Tracksters are good for legs, or Altura similar. Tracksuit top will do for dry weather but anything cotton will be very cold and heavy when wet! It is not necessary to purchase expensive cycle clothing. Wind/waterproof layer on outer helps. For cold feet, use double socks and perhaps a foam inner sole.

RaRa

+1 for the Ron Hill Tracksters - great bit of kit

P.S. Am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and instantly thought "Game of Thrones!"

Ozzrahog

I ride the same tyres summer and winter - Brompton ordinary on the Brommy, and Marathon ordinary on the other. Layered clothing does not have to be cycle clothing! Ron Hill Tracksters are good for legs, or Altura similar. Tracksuit top will do for dry weather but anything cotton will be very cold and heavy when wet! It is not necessary to purchase expensive cycle clothing. Wind/waterproof layer on outer helps. For cold feet, use double socks and perhaps a foam inner sole.
What he said, for me its mix n match. Winter tights with football shorts on top to protect my modesty, double layer sports socks, long sleeve cycle top with last seasons football top over that and if very very cold a windproof jacket finished off with winter gloves and if I am feeling very soft a buff under my lid

Boon 51

Veteran
Multi layers are a key part of your winter wardrobe. Usually mine consists of a base layer, long or short sleeve cycling jersey next (dependant on temperature), then soft shell jacket. Top layer will be a lightweight jacket for some windproofing.

Good call.. :thumbsup:

inkd

So i went out for a leisurley 7m ride earlier, its not that cold here 6-7 deg. I got back a little flustered, put bike away took my jacket off and the sleeves were wet with sweat? As i am fairly new to this cycling malarky and tight on budget what sort of material tops would be better? I went out in cotton t-shirt, microfleece waterproof tresspass jacket.
As i am looking to start commuting after xmas the last thing i want is to arrive at work sweaty betty all night. Was going to ride to work in uniform, thin cheap poly black trousers, heavy cotton polo shirt but pack work fleece in backpack.
Im doing cyclescheme and getting nightvision altura waterproof jacket but what layers? Please advise cheapest way to start ^_^

RaRa

I would advise against wearing a cotton t-shirt - try to get something merino wool based. It didn't sound right to me to wear something woolen but once i tried it I found it's great at wicking away any sweat so you don't feel sticky or wet and it also doesn't smell.

machew

Veteran
winter-is-coming-meme-generator-winter-is-coming-wear-bamboo-04fd81.jpg

Top Bottom