Winter Miles......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
..... are worth twice as many Summer miles.

I did 42 cold wet miles on Sunday and am only just getting back on the bike again today because it felt so hard, particularly the last eight. It took a whole bottle of red wine to numb the pain :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice in NW England - Two big climbs in 47 miles on Sunday...legs were dead on Wednesday (but OK Mon and Tues - get that ?)

Good for the soul are winter miles - makes a man out of you ! Ahem !

Bigtallfatbloke

I am still doing 25 miles each week day and then 60 on saturday (sometimes fri depending on weather)..sunday i rest.
Today however was horrible..the wind was really gusty and nearly took me over a couple of times...when I got home I went to bed with a hot cuppa to de freeze...the wind had gone right through me even though I had on a base layer two shirts and a jacket and full bibs and overshoes and gloves! I am finding the loops harder in the bad weather. One other thing...I seemed to have stopped sweating????? I guess because of the cold...but I have to wee more....oh well probably TMI !!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yeah! The layers are increasing and the sweat decreasing. The funny thing was I'd still lost a kilo in weight after my ride and that was despite drinking a bottle on my way around. That's the other thing the water was freezing in the bottle. The final factor was not taking a waterproof because it was only a light drizzle. I was soon soaked and couldn't afford to stop for too long because I got too cold. I shall be investing in a new waterproof soon as I've lost my old one which was the reason I didn't take one!

Good for the sole? Yes, great sense of achievment to doing it but there are more grit the teeth moments.

yenrod

Never forget the day when I'd been out with the training friend and got back to his on this occassion and it was around xmas and his Dad who also is a keen cyclist offered a me a glass of wine and a mince pie !

the Pie put the energy back in there NICELY and the vino lessened the effort of the ride and for the ride back home :biggrin:

Crackle said:
..... are worth twice as many Summer miles.

I did 42 cold wet miles on Sunday and am only just getting back on the bike again today because it felt so hard, particularly the last eight. It took a whole bottle of red wine to numb the pain :biggrin:

Blue

Legendary Member
An interesting thread.

Over the last couple of Winters I've reduced my riding by about a third as I don't ride in darkness or rain(if I can avoid it!!). Over the last couple of weeks I've been wondering how long I can keep the Summer mileage going - just managing it at the moment.

I suppose the reduced Winter mileage lets the legs recover.

Blue

Legendary Member
One thing I notice about the reduction in sweat production is that there is also a reducution in the need for chamois cream, which is good - the Assos cream I use is too darn expensive to use all year round!!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
[q]the Assos cream I use is too darn expensive to use all year round!![/q]

Ive been using diprobase, its a prescription cream from docs, expensive stuff apparently, supposed to help with chaffing, dry skin etc.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

my kids use that for their excema - a bit smelly, in a medical way that is!

Bigtallfatbloke

Did anybody ever find out about a cycle thermos flask? I know there were threads on this some time back...I'm starting to think a hip flask full of brandy or scotch might help as well on occassion!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

There are these and then this but I can't find a neoprene cover I used to see advertised many years ago.

And I just found this but you have to buy the whole bike with it :blush: Still, might be worth a phone call to see if it's available seperately?

domtyler

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Did anybody ever find out about a cycle thermos flask? I know there were threads on this some time back...I'm starting to think a hip flask full of brandy or scotch might help as well on occassion!

In theory it is a great idea, unfortunately in practice alcohol and hard exercise just will not mix.

Top Bottom