Winter Project, Any infor on it would be appreciated....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Astore

My Winter project will be resurrecting this old beast. Anyone who may know a bit about it, or Thompson bikes in general, I'd love to know more.

midlife

Guru
Nice, SABA bottom bracket with postcode. Andy Thompson well respected and well known. Built for national riders as well as building innovative TT frames. Was employed to close down Falcon Cycles in Brigg. Posts on Retrobike as Featch.

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

All great stuff guys, thank you.

I think I've only ever seen one Thompson in the wild, and that was many years ago. Just saw this one and thought, that looks "right". Anyone know what tubing might have been used? No indication on the frame at all. Hope it looks as good when it arrives.

midlife

Guru
531c would be my guess at the tubing. :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I actually met and bought a bike from Andy Thompson a few years ago .

as of later in week this will be my next commuter an all original Orbit complete with 531c tube set made by former MD at Orbit Cycles , for his father . He only ever rode it once to the shops and then abandoned it in his garage. The period Huret mileometer reads 3.4 miles!

It's unique because back then the Thompson name was only used for race bikes and Orbit on the tourers but I thought my dad would appreciate a bike with the family name. It's not a custom frame, I just used one off the production line, but it was assembled to a custom spec. It's 531 C throughout and the seat tube is 23" centre to top.

apart from tyres and tubes perished might swap saddle for a b17 and replace bars for come drops

View attachment 8473

At first I thought the seller was trying it on by pretending but I soon realized that it was the actual person .

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Very nice frame. Could be a TBC (Thompson Bicycle Company) built by owner and frame builder Andy Thompson. He later went on to work for Orbit Cycles, I have an Orbit Thompson dating from around 84/85.
View attachment 555696
That's a gorgeous machine. Love the colour.

My "guesstimate" of the age of my frame was late 70s / early 80s from the components. The chainset is Stronglight, the front derailleur is Suntour Cyclone, and the back is Huret. I've seen another Orbit Gold Medal with full Huret set, so I guess the Cyclone is a later addition.
I have to admit I'm not a big fan of Huret, or Simplex, kit having had durability issues with both in the dim and distant past. Shimano 600, or Suntour BL if I can find it, would be my weapon of choice.

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

The eBay Winter project arrived this afternoon. Very well packed and in one (straight) piece. First impressions are good, but the drivetrain seems to have been cobbled together from whatever was in the spares box at the time.
Campagnolo shifters, Huret rear derailleur, Suntour front derailleur and A lovely Stronglight chainset.
Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to start having a good look at what I've got and make a start on the strip down.

Top Bottom