Winter Project, Any infor on it would be appreciated....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Absolutely, if it all works together, happy days. Mixing & matching components from different makers seemed to be quite normal years ago anyway.

Exactly!

1A235660-C544-4E39-A5C4-A80D38EAAB52.jpeg

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

A little more progress on the Thompson. It's been stripped, de-greased, paint touched-up as required and given 2 good coats of Meguiars #26 hard carnauba wax. I've cleaned up the headset, new bearings and grease. It's a long time since I've had a bike with loose headset bearings. Everything else is in surprisingly good fettle. Seat post and handlebar stem didn't put up a fight and it's all been cleaned and polished ready to go back on the bike. I'm waiting on wheels turning up, and I managed to find a set of Suntour BL derailleurs in decent condition, so the Huret Duopar rear derailleur will get listed on eBay later.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Very nice. I didn't realise there was a Thompson Bikes, given my surname I should add one to the stable - let know if either of you are selling!

its a small inner chainring on the OP's bike - mercifully sensible for hills for that era!

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Very nice. I didn't realise there was a Thompson Bikes, given my surname I should add one to the stable - let know if either of you are selling!

its a small inner chainring on the OP's bike - mercifully sensible for hills for that era!
Indeed, back in the late 70s / early 80s we lived in a small village on the outskirts of Bristol with a LOT of hills to climb on my way to College and later my Job in Bristol, one of the first things I did with my bikes was to alter the gearing and derailleurs to suit my very hilly route.

Attachments

• 01_1982 (23).JPG
    01_1982 (23).JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 18

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
What a beauty that is!
If you don’t mind me asking, what is the total cost of the build?

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

What a beauty that is!
If you don’t mind me asking, what is the total cost of the build?
I was lucky to find the frame, minus wheels, but with a lot of good stuff already there on ebay. So the Frame, Modolo brakes and levers, Cinelli bars and stem, Camapg Super Record shifters, Huret Duopar rear derailleur, Suntour Cyclone front derailleur and Stronglight chainset was £113. The Wheels and tyres were £70, Suntour BL derailleurs and levers £80, mudguards £20. The 7 speed Shimano Freewheel and chain, Specialized saddle and ITM stem I had already. So, £283 in total. I've listed the old Huret Duopar and Campag shifters on eBay, so should re-coup some of the spend from that. I'd estimate total cost after selling the stuff I didn't want at round £200.

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Looking good :smile: don't come across much Blue Line kit these days :smile:
You don't :smile: There's a few bits that turn up in the US, but the shipping is a killer. I found the front and rear derailleurs from 2 different sellers. I had it in my mind that I wanted to use Blue Line having used it on my old Falcon Majorca back in 1980. Only issue I've found with them is the jockey wheel bearings need to be kept lubricated or they will seize. In fact, the lower one was on this derailleur when I got it, probably just from lack of use.

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Very nice. I'm not sure about the bartape colour, but that's personal choice and easy to swap.
It's a bit lighter than it looked in the pictures on eBay. I quite like it, always used Benotto tape back in the day, so I thought I'd give it another go.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Top Bottom