Winter Project, Any infor on it would be appreciated....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Aaaand, it's done.. Took it for what was supposed to be a "round the block" ride and turned in to a 12 mile one. It really is an absolute joy.

Gunk

Guru
that's come out really well, my type of thing!

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

that's come out really well, my type of thing!
Thanks. I'm really happy with it.

A little niggle to sort; 2 damaged spokes in the rear wheel, I think the chain has gone too far at some time, but it rides beautifully.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Lovely looker, but one tip for you;

Put some cardboard or bubble wrap round the top tube until after you've cabled the brakes. Believe me, the tears will flow if you pick the frame up and the bars swing freely round and take a chunk of paint off the tube :cry:

Tell me about it ... from my recent lightweight build ...

View attachment 562091

The green towel around the top tube is to protect the paint from the handlebars. I've dinked the soft paint already once, skoolboy error. Once I have the bar tape in place I can relax.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Well that's a survivor. I'm the infamous Andy Thompson and I built that bike in about 1980! I'm absolutely delighted with the way you've saved it, and I hope it gives you many years of riding.
Hi Andy, I have I think a more mass produced Orbit Thompson which is a delight, it still has the original CLB Brakes, Stronglight Cranks, Rimtec by Mavic wheels etc. It originally had Simplex derailleurs and non aero brake levers.
I think I acquired the bike around 1990, could you tell me what year it could have been made and why it is badged with your name rather the Orbit name?
Great to see you on the forum, I think you may get badgered with lots of questions!😆

midlife

Guru
Well that's a survivor. I'm the infamous Andy Thompson and I built that bike in about 1980! I'm absolutely delighted with the way you've saved it, and I hope it gives you many years of riding.

I've got an Andy Thompson / Featch survivor in my garage too :smile: Frame only though...

Always been tempted to buy the Andy Thompson TT frame on Hilary Stone.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nicely detailed, especially the seatstay junction. That's one of the areas where you can tell if the builder/designer cared what the finished product would look like of not. Same goes for the fork crowns. Mass produced gas pipe frames are rarely as pleasing to look at than a quality lightweight butted one, even though the tubes will be pretty much the same diameter. It's the little build details that make the difference to the appearance.

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Hi Andy, thanks for your kind words. I absolutely love the bike, it's a total joy to ride. I've now fitted a better wheel set than the Suzue hub / Araya rim set I put on it to get rolling, it's now on Shimano Deore LX hubs with Weinmann concave rims, which seem to stand up to the mean streets of rural Argyll an awful lot better. I'm enjoying it so much that my Concorde has hardly turned a wheel in months!

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

A few months of riding have seen a few changes. Originally I had Suntour BL derailleur set, but had an issue with crank clearance on the Stronglight chainset due to the design of the front derailleur. So that's been swapped swapped for a Suntour Cyclone set which is working like a dream. The Cyclones date from 1976, so are (sort of) in period with 1980 frame. With the addition of a Blackburn EX-1 rack and Carradice saddlebag, I think the Thompson project is properly finished now.

1xGVSxC.jpg

KJ0KyQH.jpg

EKgkZpD.jpg

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Bit of a thread resurrection. I said the Thompson project was finished? OK, I lied. A Nice Stronglight 28, 38,48 triple chainset turned up on the 'Bay for silly money, so I bought it. The bike now has 21 gears and proper Scottish hill climbing "granny" gears. After a bit of messing around, I found that a 124.5 BB cartridge gave me best chain line, and I've been out enjoying the Spring weather on what is without doubt my favourite bike....

Oi0n1eZ.jpg

ENzVMOm.jpg

GnrdbeD.jpg

SS5KRCm.jpg

mBOQ0QV.jpg

Top Bottom