Winter riding gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Personally I find layering too much on hands and feet can be counterproductive as it restricts circulation. Sometimes less can be more. Sure for some this isn't the case but it works for me.

Custom24

Über Member
Personally I find layering too much on hands and feet can be counterproductive as it restricts circulation. Sometimes less can be more. Sure for some this isn't the case but it works for me.
Thanks, you might be spot on. A few weeks ago I lost one of my outer gloves and cycled home with just 2 gloves on one hand. That hand didn't get cold. At the time, I put it down to my body doing something weird with vasodilation, reacting to the cold. But your explanation makes a lot more sense. Doh!
I wasn't able to try it this morning, because it was too icy for cycling, but I will try just outers and liners the next time and see how I get on.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I've just bought a pair of those from aldi, and have used the inner gloves from my ski gloves, to fit inside the Crane gloves.

It was minus 3 when I had those cranes on, and the wind was getting through to my fingers. Now, with those other thin gloves as a second layer, my fingers feel more snug and much warmer.

I liked your advice and bought a pair of Karrimor running gloves for £2. Works a treat, no more swearing in the canteen from me when I get to work :thumbsup:

jeffo50

Regular
I liked your advice and bought a pair of Karrimor running gloves for £2. Works a treat, no more swearing in the canteen from me when I get to work :thumbsup:
Good good!
I've since sewn up the flip up Crane finger sections, because my inside glove keep poking out and driving me nuts. Haha

I'm also going to experiment by trying different pairs of thin gloves, to use as a inside layer to my Aldi Crane, gloves.

To see which combo suits me best.

Cheers

addman100

Guru
Sealskinz winter mittens have been a revelation for me this winter. They allow your fingers to share body heat instead being separated, even in minus five degree commutes for 90 minutes my hands were toasty warm.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Plenty of cheap gloves out there to keep you warm on cold dry days.
Another problem keeping them warm when it's peeing down and freezing cold,:whistle:

oldroadman

Veteran
Folks, it may look bizarre, but as a young rider (about a century ago! ), who needed to keep training when things got cold and wet, I found silk inners layered under winter gloves worked in the cold. For wet, silk, thinner gloves, and large size rubber gloves (like industrial type, often in a fetching shade of blue) were perfect for warm dry hands. Don't forget if you are moving briskly it helps the circulation to keep going and hence everything good and warm. You know when it's right and the hands start to sweat a bit!

Custom24

Über Member
Thanks again, tonight was 1 Celsius and I had no problems with just the outer glove. Less is indeed more for me as well.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I was given a pair of the aldi gloves at Christmas. Found them ok down to about 4 degrees, but below that finger tips got really cold with the windchill. Acquired some Schoffel ski gloves a while back. Lovely and warm, with a gauntlet to stop a draft round the jacket cuffs. Sometimes too warm, so only for the coldest days.

Top Bottom