Winter road bike ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I’ve been toying with the idea of a 2nd bike for winter and rougher routes,hills,weekend winter club rides 50-100 miles.

Something under £400 that isn’t carbon.

I was thinking of buying a used frame and building my own as a project but suspect it will work out a lot more expensive that way?

Anyway any tips or advice on what sort of things I should use for a winter hacker?

I saw this bike which is quite local to me and liked

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Giant Defy is a great bike but I would check tyre clearance especially if caliper brakes. You likely want wider tyres and probably full mudguards - Don't think it has mount points, so that means race blades only. Also - it's white :stop:

edit - my main road bike is a Defy and although I love it dearly, I don't think it meets criteria for a full winter bike. And mine is Black/grey and has discs...

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Giant Defy is a great bike but I would check tyre clearance especially if caliper brakes. You likely want wider tyres and probably full mudguards - Don't think it has mount points, so that means race blades only. Also - it's white :stop:

edit - my main road bike is a Defy and although I love it dearly, I don't think it meets criteria for a full winter bike. And mine is Black/grey and has discs...

Yes my main bike is a full carbon Defy also.

Good points on mudguards etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Ribble CGR fits the bill - but very heavy v a carbon bike.

Can you get one for £400 even used?

The Boardman CX is around 11kg Iirc but winter bikes don’t need to be light (could always just use the carbon and clean after dirty rides of course and budget for more frequent chain changes!)

Can you get one for £400 even used?

The Boardman CX is around 11kg Iirc but winter bikes don’t need to be light (could always just use the carbon and clean after dirty rides of course and budget for more frequent chain changes!)

Fair point.

Another option (not cheap) but a guy at our club has these mudguards which come with there own through axle and the mudguards attach to the axle. They look very solid and he rates them - about £150 for a pair though.

I'd not worry too much about the weight. Your extra layers, guards and chunky tyres probably slow you down more.

My winter bike is a gravel bike with full guards and 32mm tyres and disc brakes. It's a lovely ride and gets more use than the super light carbon summer bike so probably worth spending a bit more on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes any gravel / CX style bike provided it has mudguard mounts (some CX "race" frames don't, but anything badges gravel, adventure etc most likely do), shod with some fattish 32/35mm+ semi slicks will do your winter roads and light offroad stuff. Or buy a second wheel set for slicks & more grippy offroad combo.

Should be plenty second hand on ebay.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Like others have put mudguard mounts, or the ability to fit Raceblade XL guards, would be essential for a winter bike. That it'll take slightly wider tyres is also helpful. Don't discount a carbon frame since they're just as capable of winter use. As others have put a second set of wheels is always helpful for winter use.

I run a full carbon 2012 Raleigh SP Race as a commuter and winter road bike, supplemented by an Avanti Circa cross bike for winter commuting. The Raleigh has Raceblades since it doesn't have mudguard mounts plus 25mm tyres with the Avanti having full guards and 30mm tyres.

vickster

Legendary Member
What is this mythical summer you speak of?

I've always run my bike all year round and never found it necessary to run a dedicated nice weather bike that gets put away for 80% of the year/rides. Maybe rethink your strategy to suit the British climate?

The OP is also in Scotland so definitely mudguards

Top Bottom