Winter road bike ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you have the time and money yes disc brakes are more consistent in all weathers and the ability to run wider tyres is nice ,I ran 23s for many years following the wisdom at the time and now i run 25s as a minimum with the commuter running 28s , about a month ago i stuck 23s back on due to tyre failure and the harsh ride in comparison reminded me of what we used to put up with !

I dont know if want new with less spec or older with better bits ? currently runing this for commuting and yes its a bit heavy but in winter who cares ?
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...MI2aC4nImg-AIVzuvtCh1N5gTwEAQYASABEgIdSfD_BwE

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I should have added I plan on going club rides on this so need something I can ride decent distances (50-100miles) on at circa 15-18mph average

vickster

Legendary Member
I should have added I plan on going club rides on this so need something I can ride decent distances (50-100miles) on at circa 15-18mph average

May need to spend rather more then and accept you’ll need decent tyres and thus be more at risk of punctures if there’s lots of road debris (or tubeless in which case the wheels will take a big chunk of your budget).

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I'm not sure a bike knows who its riding with or what jerseys they are wearing. Distance and speed is down to you, provided its well maintained a decent 2nd hand bike will be fine, although it will go a bit faster in a group of riders.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I'm not sure a bike knows who its riding with or what jerseys they are wearing. Distance and speed is down to you, provided its well maintained a decent 2nd hand bike will be fine, although it will go a bit faster in a group of riders.

I’m sure the bike doesn’t know but I sure will hahaha!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'd not worry too much about the weight. Your extra layers, guards and chunky tyres probably slow you down more.

My winter bike is a gravel bike with full guards and 32mm tyres and disc brakes. It's a lovely ride and gets more use than the super light carbon summer bike so probably worth spending a bit more on.

This is the route I went when I needed a new winter bike. I bought a Kinesis ATR which ticks many boxes winter/gravel/touring on or off road. She's at least three bikes in one but doesn't compromise on any of the potential uses.

I suspect a change of wheels or possibly just tyres would turn her into a decent summer bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is the route I went when I needed a new winter bike. I bought a Kinesis ATR which ticks many boxes winter/gravel/touring on or off road. She's at least three bikes in one but doesn't compromise on any of the potential uses.

I suspect a change of wheels or possibly just tyres would turn her into a decent summer bike.

For £400?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I paid £500 for a CAADX on ebay and then a bit more doing it up. It made a pretty good bike for bad weather rides and light touring. I wouldn't fancy trying to do 18 mph on it for 100 miles though! :laugh:

CAADX with SKS Longboards and rack.jpg

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Look out for a Genesis Equilibrium; Steel frame, rim or disc brakes, 28/30mm tyre clearance, mudguards. I have one, and it's been used for everything on road, using it for Ride to the Sun (100 miles) in a couple of weeks, have also used for club rides. I haven't used it much this winter as my Kinesis AT is very much a do-it-all bike, gravel, road, winter with guards, 1x and comfortable for 100 miles.

Top Bottom