Winter shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Best cycling relaed thing I have bought, ever.

You still need a way to stop the rain getting in like overtrousers or else your feet will get wet, they are warm though and ideal for winter wet or dry.
Mine will be going on soon and doubt they'll come off until Easter :thumbsup:
^ what he said +1

Best cycling relaed thing I have bought, ever.

You still need a way to stop the rain getting in like overtrousers or else your feet will get wet, they are warm though and ideal for winter wet or dry.
Mine will be going on soon and doubt they'll come off until Easter :thumbsup:
^ what he said +1
+2 my NORTHWAVE FAHRENHEIT's are the joint comfortable cycling footwear I've ever owned.

The others were a pair of SIDI INFERNO's, but they're a whole chunk more expensive than the Northwave's :sad:

400bhp

Guru
What are the shoes like in the hissing rain. Do they keep your feet dry, do the shoes stay fairly dry?

Tempted, but I've always found good overshoes enough to keep the weather out. Never had an issue with wet feet with the BBB Hardwear overshoes, but would value some opinion on these boots.

Can see the advantage on dry or damp days of the boots in winter as there would be no messing with overshoes.

Yes, they keep your feet dry if (and an important if) you pull the velcro tight. There will be the inevitable water ingress because of tops of socks, bottom of longs etc.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What are the shoes like in the hissing rain. Do they keep your feet dry, do the shoes stay fairly dry?

Tempted, but I've always found good overshoes enough to keep the weather out. Never had an issue with wet feet with the BBB Hardwear overshoes, but would value some opinion on these boots.

Can see the advantage on dry or damp days of the boots in winter as there would be no messing with overshoes.
I have a pair of Northwave Artic boots that are fine for a couple of hours in the wet. However, I wore them on a particularly wet Fridays ride and when the water gets in it doesn't get out. At the refreshment stop I poured about half a cup full of water out of them and spilled the rest on the floor. It took them 6 days to dry out. Mind, my Hope vision light still hasn't recovered....

potsy

Rambler
So did you go 1 size up because they are Shimano and tend to be 1 size smaller or to take account of thicker socks and what kind of socks do you wear with these.
Bit of both Phil, had read they were a slightly tighter fit than normal shoes, I do wear them with thin and thick socks though depending on the temperature :thumbsup:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Bit of both Phil, had read they were a slightly tighter fit than normal shoes, I do wear them with thin and thick socks though depending on the temperature :thumbsup:

Might have to have a look at those.

At the moment I have some of these:

product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+actionsports+SH+SH-MT90L_600x450_v1_m56577569830671884_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

But they are a bit big for use on a road bike and are more suited to MTB riding as they hit the cranks on my road bike.

I notice that chain reactions have the MW81 for £109.99

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Might have to have a look at those.

At the moment I have some of these:

product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+actionsports+SH+SH-MT90L_600x450_v1_m56577569830671884_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

But they are a bit big for use on a road bike and are more suited to MTB riding as they hit the cranks on my road bike.

I notice that chain reactions have the MW81 for £109.99
I used to use walking boots as the original shimano ones weren't insulated around the cleat and were freezing once the cleat plate got cold.

The reason I stopped using walking boots were for the same reasons (too bulky for roads bikes) and the brilliant goretex paclite over trousers kept riding up and leaving the boot cuff exposed - which led to wet feet (but warm) feet.

I sold my last pair to Greg on here and regretted it as I hadn't realised how much I liked them. They really are worth the faff of carrying another pair of footwear to the wards.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Another Northwave fan, mine are heading in to their third winter, bit of wear and tear on the inside. The only time they let water in was a very wet ride without a front mudguard pretty sure nothing would have kept my feet dry. I was quite excited when they released the new Artic version, but it is MTB only at the moment. If you do get water in them it stays there, that's the only downside.

Looking around they do sell the Artic in Road cleats but only in the Commuter http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a103339/arctic-commuter-r-gtx-yellow-fluo-black.html

I have a pair of Northwave Artic boots that are fine for a couple of hours in the wet. However, I wore them on a particularly wet Fridays ride and when the water gets in it doesn't get out. At the refreshment stop I poured about half a cup full of water out of them and spilled the rest on the floor. It took them 6 days to dry out. Mind, my Hope vision light still hasn't recovered....

Wetstable? I had the same issue with my sealskinz! If there's a hole big enough to get your foot in then, eventually, water will get in too.

Top Bottom