Winter sleeping bag recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

La la la

We can't hear you.:whistle:
I've got a Buffalo Wind Shirt too, which you probably also don't want to hear about, even though it's also rather yummy. :giggle:

I love RAB sleeping bags, I have 3 of them, my husband has 2 of them, yet none of them where what we took on tour (well I started with a Rab neutrino 700? but it died 2 weeks into the tour - human error). They are an investment, but they are worth every penny when you can wake up in the morning with a layer of ice over the top of the sleeping bag and know you are toasty warm - that was -18C in the Lake District many many years ago. Looked after, used with a silk liner or washed professionally they last. I know, we have 2 of the old Rab Premeire 1100 bags. One was 2nd hand when we purchased it back in 1991, the other was purchased new (£395) back in 1995 I think it was. The younger of the two you can not tell it's age at all.

For what you are after, I would probably be looking at something similar to what we were using back in Turkey at the beginning of this year. I have a Marmot Pinnacle (comfort rated to -9C, extreme rating to -30C) used with a Exped downmat 7, silk liner and on the colder nights I simply put my thermals on, hats and gloves and slept in those - I prefer to have my head out of the sleeping bag unless it is seriously cold. We were living outdoors at the time and used to the cold, so that did us down to -10C without issues and I need to be warm at night to sleep (warm toes, cold nose rule). We never got the chance to test it to lower temperatures, but between the tent and the bag/mats + additional clothing we had available, we did not consider it much of an issue - sure I would have loved to have been carrying my big RAB sleeping bag but if I was, I would not have had room for anything else in my rear pannier at all.

PS - I have never had any great issues keeping a down bag dry - the only time I failed was in Greece when the bag was hanging over the bannister rails of the holiday home we had taken and a sudden rain storm came over blosing open the windows and raining directly onto the bag. Sure the bag gets damp but they are easy to dry out in the evening by simply putting over your legs whilst in the tent and they air naturally. We did this for 12 months, plus the odd hanging over a bush to air in the late afternoon and never needed to do anythign more serious and did not suffer any mold issues at all.

Hicky

Guru
I have the softie 10 from snugpak, well two of the so they can zip together!!
I can sleep in Brecon in the winter in a bivibag but the wife struggles in summer in Cornwall!
Good/cheap and packs down small is not going to happen.
I'd buy the same bag again everyday, I've abused mine(slept with boots on), left it packed for months on end and it still performs, if anything buy some fleece inners and bobs your uncle.
A friend has a buffalo bag but it is big when packed down, I have a buffalo wind shirt, awesome piece of kit, wouldn't be without it!

tadpole

For use on the Motorbike I'd say a grade one British army arctic sleeping bag, I've used one for years and for me it is good to -5 degrees, or with a liner -7degrees.(under a tarp) It is dirt cheap and with a stuff sack will pack down to a reasonable size, it is not light though.
AS with all things camping of the three desires “cheap light good”, you only ever get to pick two of the three. I'm willing to sacrifice weight for a decent nights sleep. The large one is good fit for a fatty like me and if you're a racing snake there is room for a inner bag with will give you a claimed minus20 degrees of comfort.

Hicky

Guru
Bouncing bomb the army bag is, your reasonable pack size must differ to mine.
They come in sizes too(if you decide to look at them), excellent for the money though.

tadpole

Bouncing bomb the army bag is, your reasonable pack size must differ to mine.
They come in sizes too(if you decide to look at them), excellent for the money though.

My arctic sleeping bag packs to a size that will fit in the bottom section of my 75lt bag and still leave room for all the gear for a 3 day camp including sharps, axes, pots, pans, food and booze along with all the other extra stuff needed for cooking over a wood fire, and still leave the bag light enough to carry for a couple of miles.
I didn’t need the extra stuff that several people seem to recommend when using a lightweight £200 job, like a buffalo shirt, liner and gortex bivibag legging base layers etc. So if my arctic sleeping bag on its own, fits into a smaller space than a smaller bag that needs a liner and a set of sleeping clothes, and a buffalo shirt and a bivi bag and a thick mattress.
I’d say that for it packs down to reasonable size, and the current arctic sleeping system bag is nothing like the 58 pattern “bouncing bomb”

Hicky

Guru
I mean current issue unless chill well have some layering system like the us forces

Any recommended links to said Brit Army arctic bag?

On the subject of fleece liners, I saw some in Go Outddors the other day - they looked very bulky and I wasn't convinced that they would trap much warm air. Rather had the impression that I'd be better taking along an extra lightweight summer Coleman bag I have and putting that inside. Others views welcomed of course.

Herr-B

Snugpak Softie 12, got mine in '99 and it's still great. Got me through a very cold Balkan winter (tented, outside temp -29).

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Has anyone suggested Army Surplus? I have used my ten quid British Army bag for about fifteen years and it has arms! You can also upzip the middle and wear the sleeping bag as a massive coat, which is 'teh sex' as I believe the kids say.

tadpole

Any recommended links to said Brit Army arctic bag?

On the subject of fleece liners, I saw some in Go Outddors the other day - they looked very bulky and I wasn't convinced that they would trap much warm air. Rather had the impression that I'd be better taking along an extra lightweight summer Coleman bag I have and putting that inside. Others views welcomed of course.
Give Kevin a ring at Endicotts 01392 433331, He'll be able to sort you out with something, and he knows his stuff. His website is confusing to use but he himself is the boss when it comes to selling

Top Bottom