Winter sleeping bag recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,
I'm looking for some recommendations on a winter sleeping bag, I'm on a budget so I'm looking at the lower price ranges, It must fold up relatively small and be fairly light any ideas anyone ?

Russell Allen

winter where? uk / the alps / patagonia? The minimum temperature at which you wish to be comfortable is probably a good starting point. The lighter and smaller down bags tend to be more expensive than the bulkier synthetic bags.

For comfort down to 0 degrees you cant beat these for weight (615g) and size but they aren't cheap

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=79&products_id=292

You will also need a mat to insulate you from the ground. £25 to £100 depending on quality for a self inflating mat

Russell

Alun

Guru
Light and small usually mean a down bag, but they tend to be expensive, and don't get them wet.
Synthetic bags are usually bulkier and heavier, but cheaper, they have improved over the years though.
It's difficult to be more specific without knowing what use you will put it to and what your budget actually is.
Do you mean hostelling in Kent, or camping in the Highlands. Is your budget £50 or £150?
These sites might help you
http://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-bags/compare
http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=114-119

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks for getting back to me, The main use will be Motorcycle/Bicycle/walking camping in the Welsh mountains and the price range is as much as it takes to get a good one without paying over the odds, I do have a four seasons bag which is very big and should work down to -2C but even in British spring time I need two bags to make it useable ( I work outside in all weathers so can stand the cold fairly well) hence the reason I'm looking for recommendations rather than the company bulls**t.
Thanks for the links I will have a good look at them ( I may end up needing two as my lad wants to come along !)
I crossed the mountains yesterday on my motorbike and there was a good covering of snow !

Brad

Crankarm

Guru
More information please. Where, when and for how long? Low weight, staying warm and low cost for a sleeping back is difficult. You really need a 4 season down bag which is ££££.

Rab charge £30 to clean their bags. They get the bag bone dry and unflock all the down. You will not be able to do this if you do it yourself. If they bugger up your bag - you get a new bag, if you bugger up your bag - end of bag. A Rab Ascent 900 down bag (approx £250) should keep you warm in a UK winter lower comfort temp is -19C or go for the next models up which are the Andes or Expedition for piece of mind.

Just saw your response. For the Welsh Mountains or Scotland you will need a warm dowm bag such as the Rab bag I mention above as it could easily drop to -10/15C on a cold clear frosty night in winter in the mountains. It is a mummy bag as most down 4 season bags are. It's very soft as well.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/inde.../products.detail/code/81710032/id_colour/4537

How old is your son? It is important to get a bag that fits him as too large a volume as in getting him an adult bag and he will not be as warm as he should be as too much volume for his body to heat.

HTH.

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks for getting back to me, The main use will be Motorcycle/Bicycle/walking camping in the Welsh mountains and the price range is as much as it takes to get a good one without paying over the odds, I do have a four seasons bag which is very big and should work down to -2C but even in British spring time I need two bags to make it useable ( I work outside in all weathers so can stand the cold fairly well) hence the reason I'm looking for recommendations rather than the company bulls**t.
Thanks for the links I will have a good look at them ( I may end up needing two as my lad wants to come along !)
I crossed the mountains yesterday on my motorbike and there was a good covering of snow !

Brad

A bag that is rated down to -2C is NOT a 4 season bag. It is only a 3 season. For winter you will need at least a 4 season bag even a 4+ season bag. You will put yourself and son at severe risk by using it in winter. All bags now have to give the lower and upper comfort ranges as per European legislation because everyone has different tolerance to cold as well as men and women having different core temps which affects temp capabilities and design of a bag.

How old is your existing bag?

SS Retro

I use a synthetic four season bag for winter canoe touring camping where the risk of a down bag getting damp is too great been comfortable down to -10 on the side of a Scottish Loch had a sheet of ice down the length of the bag where it was breathing, but it is bulky. Just as important is the mat I use a Mountain Equipment helium 3.8 self inflating its super warm and comfortable and packs small and light.

For your needs I would recommend a down bag and keep it in a dry bag you can get excellent bags at a good price from Alpkit as well as decent mats and a dry bag to keep it in.

Alpkit sleeping bags.
Alpkit Sleeping mats.
Alpkit drybags.

Crankarm

Guru
I use a synthetic four season bag for winter canoe touring camping where the risk of a down bag getting damp is too great been comfortable down to -10 on the side of a Scottish Loch had a sheet of ice down the length of the bag where it was breathing, but it is bulky. Just as important is the mat I use a Mountain Equipment helium 3.8 self inflating its super warm and comfortable and packs small and light.

For your needs I would recommend a down bag and keep it in a dry bag you can get excellent bags at a good price from Alpkit as well as decent mats and a dry bag to keep it in.

Alpkit sleeping bags.
Alpkit Sleeping mats.
Alpkit drybags.

They are good. I have two to make a double mattress :biggrin:.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Just dragged my bag out the cupboard to see what was actually said on the cover, says 4 seasons hollow fiber ,I guessing that's 4 seasons in the tropics !
My lad is 15 and nearly my size so he is getting to the stage that I can buy him things that will last ( size wise) so can justify spending the extra money. All I need now are a cheap GPS a couple of back packs and a small tent !

willem

Über Member
First, get a good insulated mattress (most of the cold comes from below). For proper winter temperatures an Exped Downmat is unsurpassed. Second, make sure you get a water repellent outer, such as PHD Dryshell. Humidity is not a big problem in really cold weather, but it is just above or below zero. Third, consider a separate second outer bag such as PHD make. I bought their artificial fibre one, to avoid issues with humidity. It is In their sale right now. Combine this with a light two season down bag and you should be fine for more than just the coldest season. As a backup, I also have a down vest that I sometimes wear inside my down bag. Finally, if you have a nice down duvet at home, why not put it on top of your sleeping bags. And be weary of indicated temperature ranges. For someone like me, who sleeps cold, even PHD are a bit optimistic.
Willem

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have found by years and years of camping, cycling and motorcycling that the words CHEAP and GOOD rarely go together. I have spend so much money on cheap gear that I have spent umpteen times as much as I would have done if I had bought the GOOD expensive one to start with.

Do not buy cheap if it means keeping warm and dry, it really is not worth it. In fact it can kill you.

Steve

Crankarm

Guru
First, get a good insulated mattress (most of the cold comes from below). For proper winter temperatures an Exped Downmat is unsurpassed. Second, make sure you get a water repellent outer, such as PHD Dryshell. Humidity is not a big problem in really cold weather, but it is just above or below zero. Third, consider a separate second outer bag such as PHD make. I bought their artificial fibre one, to avoid issues with humidity. It is In their sale right now. Combine this with a light two season down bag and you should be fine for more than just the coldest season. As a backup, I also have a down vest that I sometimes wear inside my down bag. Finally, if you have a nice down duvet at home, why not put it on top of your sleeping bags. And be weary of indicated temperature ranges. For someone like me, who sleeps cold, even PHD are a bit optimistic.
Willem

Do you really wear a down vest when in your sleeping bag? If so your bag is not warm enough for the conditions. Wearing clothing like this prevents your sleeping bag from working properly. There is no substitute for a quality down bag used in the temp range it is designed for. A 2 season bag is a summer sleeping bag and should not be used in winter, with or without, an artificial outer bag unless you want to put yourself at risk.

willem

Über Member
This is the PHD combi bag that I use: http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=79&products_id=261 There is nothing dangerous about it - it only extends the range of your summer bag (a PHD minimus in my case) by at least 10 degrees, as I could confirm last weekend when I was comfortable though not very warm at minus 8 or 9 (I was too lazy to put on the vest as well). A specific winter bag would have been lighter for the same insulation, but a lot more expensive if you already have a good summer bag. In my case I could not justify the additional expense for something I do not do very often. The down vest or jacket is another old trick to extend the range of your bag at the margin. My summer bag is fine in nearly all not too extreme three season conditions, but is a bit too cold very early in Spring or very late in the Autumn, and particularly at higher elevations. I use it as an extra safety margin, and to keep me warm around the tent in the evenings, instead of a heavy and voluminous fleece. My minimus bag is wide enough (special order extra wide) to work well with the vest, and the combi bag is wider than the summer bag. In conclusion, this is not what I would buy as the ideal winter gear, but it is a comfortable and safe system for occasional use. The down vest trick is good for any time of the year: you need some vest or sweater in any case, so why not make it dual purpose?
Willem

Top Bottom