Winter Solstice

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get one of those sunrise/sunset clocks - it helps.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
It / the days only get longer from now on, so a time to look forward :smile:

Also would have been my Dad's 86th birthday today, so a day of contemplation & happy sadness ...
img016.jpg

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Why don't you all do like i do when you're feeling down on a wet dark miserable day,and go into the local cemetery and think about all those you knew who are now dead. That should cheer you up!!:unsure:
Excellent idea!
Mind if I send that off to Viz magazine?

C R

Guru
Why don't the hippies and druids do Stonehenge in Winter and not just Summer? :scratch:

I'm supposing the shoot weather puts them off.:cold:

There's a persian celebration of the winter solstice called Shab-e Yalda

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaldā_Night

Still observed in Iran, Turkey and central asian countries.

The Iranian calendar is exactly solar, so the last night of the ninth month is the night of the solstice, which is when Yalda is celebrated -shab means night in farsi-.

Families and friends meet to eat and read poetry well into the night.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not only humans,but animal life and plant life suffers from the lack of sunlight this time of the year. I've been feeding my palm tree extra rations of banana skins to boost his potassium,magnesium and vitamins B6 and B12 levels. It's his first winter outside,so he's going to need extra mollycoddling! If he hadn't grown so much due to that long hot summer i'd be tempted to take him to the local sunbed salon for a :sun:boost. :unsure:

tom73

Guru
Not by best time of year either hate dark nights and I know it effects my mental health. But we’ve made it this fair and soon be long days and long evening rides. So hold in and see you on the other side.

What also maybe helping is I’ve just made my mince pies and turned up the tunes. With any hope most will make it to the freezer for Christmas :whistle: , had a bit of mincemeat left shame to leave it sitting in the bottom of the jar. :hungry:

Top Bottom