Winter Touring and Camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

I'm going to be cycling from Barcelona to Portsmouth this December in around 20 days...

I did lejog in march which I was suprised to discover is, more or less, winter.

and I have spent several very cold and continuously wet weeks in patagonia...

Motorway services are amazing but expensive. so just use the freebies... for example.
1. have a shower, shave, visit lavatory.
2. read articles from different magazines in WHSmith while it is raining.
3. get a selection of UHT milk, sugar sachets, salt, ketchup etc... from the cafe.

Camping/hiking/cycling in winter can be fun in that peverse way. I would recommend getting the odd bar meal (when it is raining) just to cheer yourself up.

If you see another fool on a bike / in a tent then it will probably be me.
I can't imagine anyone else doing it!

And me,
The main problem is not weather to winter camp, but where; there are so many choices. as long as you have the right gear, then no problems.

For some reason I've managed to get an idea stuck in my head of going touring this winter, and camping. I'm fairly sure that it's a bad idea but want to do it anyway.

At the moment the plan is to get a mountain sleeping bag, bivvy bag as waterproofing for it, and a tarp to keep off the weather. A few emergency meals, though the plan is to stop and eat at pubs and cafes along the way, and a couple of phones - one for general use (GPS etc) and the other as a phone in case something comes up.

So what I'd like to know is, is this a really stupid idea which should not be done, or is it worth a shot?

Also any suggestions for going through with it would be appreciated.

I still use my old army DPM Basha (tarp) if I am out just for one overnight, brill peice of kit, as if you use some bungys, you can make your camp in a wood or hedgerow, and no one will really know you are there. just lay the bike under the bushes as well. For more than one night then I use my TN Nova Lazer. and if the weather is forgast to be real crap then I use the Vauge hogan, also if I am say camping in one place for the trip.

Brains

Legendary Member
I've done several UK walking and cycling tours over the New Year period.

Issues are:
* Take a decent tent, you willbe spending quite some time in it.
* Good quality thermarest and sleeping bag
* It gets dark at 4pm, so you need to have the place for camping marked before then
* It's expensive as you tend to spend the entire evening in the local pub around the roraring log fire
* Assume you are going to get wet every day

Other than it's do-able and quite good fun

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have done quite a bit of winter camping but not touring.Problem is the dry days tend to produce thje coldest nights so you do need a decent sleeping bag etc. Try it out on a cool night in your back yard if possible if your not warm enough you can bale out and reconsider what you need to sleep in.

Some campsites stay open which at least gives you access to a warm shower. Good Luck

For some reason I've managed to get an idea stuck in my head of going touring this winter, and camping. I'm fairly sure that it's a bad idea but want to do it anyway.

At the moment the plan is to get a mountain sleeping bag, bivvy bag as waterproofing for it, and a tarp to keep off the weather. A few emergency meals, though the plan is to stop and eat at pubs and cafes along the way, and a couple of phones - one for general use (GPS etc) and the other as a phone in case something comes up.

So what I'd like to know is, is this a really stupid idea which should not be done, or is it worth a shot?

Also any suggestions for going through with it would be appreciated.

Normally the week after christmas I spend about 5 or 6 days walking parts of the South West coast path, this year i thnk it will be the Minehead to Barnstaple which is about 50 miles, so 5 easy days walking, would be wild camping, with the odd vist ti the local hostery for a few bevies, along the way. so anyone interested all happy to have someone to join me.

Crankarm

Guru
RedBike, on 02 September 2010 - 13:41:10, said: Yes. But I wasn't planning on putting my tent up on the services carpark.

I was thinking along the lines of McDonanlds / supermarkets and some petrol stations.
- I will leave the wilderness for Viking, i'm not that brave.

It's not that adventurous - I'll have a solid fuel stove with me, and a tarp for shelter, and nice warm stuff. I'll also have emergency contacts available along with a backup phone.

Although now that you mention it the idea of taking a mountain bike instead, and vanishing into the wilderness for a week to survive on my wits alone does seem quite appealing. I'm just worried that if I were to do that I'd come back to find that I've missed the zombie invasion. Maybe next year.

Travel Lodge car park? This would give the opportunity to bail out if the conditions became too severe. You might even bump into Alan Partridge ..................

This youtube link might give you some pointers on how to prepare, http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mkZhnWIRncQ

Trumpettom001

Be careful with your mobile - I took mine with enough batt life to last for 4 weeks, and in one night, condensation had discharged the battery wayy past it's normal cut-off voltage...

(for the techies: It's normally 3.1v at empty. One night of condensation discharged it to 1.3v - new battery needed... there's 3 pound 50 down the drain!!!)

ttony002

Über Member
Go on give it a go . Make sure you and your kit as dry as possible. Pack lots of hi energy snacks (yum). Take a thermos flask fill it up so you can get a hot drink as and when. Try cup a soup's as well . I think if you do something like this and all goes well you have made something positive from an otherwise do little time of year. Im also planning a ride in mid October . Dont know if this count's as winter . Will at least give it a try i/we can allways change our minds go home or b'n'b .
All the best and good luck

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I tour all year round, but only short 2-3 day jaunts and never camping in the winter, although I have the gear to do so.
If you are not planning on wildcamping, do campsites stay open all year here? I'd prefer a youth hostel bail out option, at the very least...

I was quite glad not to be camping on this trip (easter 10):

http://www.flickr.co...57623832236860/#

Looks like you could barely cycle never mind camp!

OP
OP
vikingcyclist

vikingcyclist

Be careful with your mobile - I took mine with enough batt life to last for 4 weeks, and in one night, condensation had discharged the battery wayy past it's normal cut-off voltage...

(for the techies: It's normally 3.1v at empty. One night of condensation discharged it to 1.3v - new battery needed... there's 3 pound 50 down the drain!!!)

I'm waiting for the Nokia bike charger to come out, which should be before Christmas. Also includes a mount which should let me use the phone as GPS, and run Sports Tracker to let people know how I'm getting on.

Go on give it a go . Make sure you and your kit as dry as possible. Pack lots of hi energy snacks (yum). Take a thermos flask fill it up so you can get a hot drink as and when. Try cup a soup's as well . I think if you do something like this and all goes well you have made something positive from an otherwise do little time of year. Im also planning a ride in mid October . Dont know if this count's as winter . Will at least give it a try i/we can allways change our minds go home or b'n'b .
All the best and good luck

Thanks - good advice there. I'm planning to take a kettle and small stove, as well as one of those collapsible metal fire bowls.

I tour all year round, but only short 2-3 day jaunts and never camping in the winter, although I have the gear to do so.
If you are not planning on wildcamping, do campsites stay open all year here? I'd prefer a youth hostel bail out option, at the very least...

I was quite glad not to be camping on this trip (easter 10):

http://www.flickr.co...57623832236860/#

No idea if campsites stay open or not. Wildcamping's the plan, and the bailout option is a pickup and admission of defeat.

amaferanga

Veteran
If it stays dry it could be fun. If it p!sses with rain it will be a miserable experience. Imaging crawling into your bivi bag at 4pm - your clothes are wet so you get your sleeping bag and bivi bag wet. A very long and uncomfortable night. Then when you finally get up and its still raining and you have to put all your wet stuff back on again and set out in the cold rain. Wet hands, wet feet. Truly miserable.

Of course if you get a few crisp sunny days it could be great
thumbsup.png

ttony002

Über Member
With regards Nokia charger ,i have been thinking of this
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110580446181&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3D110580446181%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1"]http://cgi.ebay.co.u..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
[/url]If you are going to use dynamo may as well run your lights as well.
I was thinking of adding one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:blush:T
to charge AA/AAA batteries for camera or head tourch as well.
If you have any other ideas let me know.

Top Bottom