Winter Touring and Camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vikingcyclist

For some reason I've managed to get an idea stuck in my head of going touring this winter, and camping. I'm fairly sure that it's a bad idea but want to do it anyway.

At the moment the plan is to get a mountain sleeping bag, bivvy bag as waterproofing for it, and a tarp to keep off the weather. A few emergency meals, though the plan is to stop and eat at pubs and cafes along the way, and a couple of phones - one for general use (GPS etc) and the other as a phone in case something comes up.

So what I'd like to know is, is this a really stupid idea which should not be done, or is it worth a shot?

Also any suggestions for going through with it would be appreciated.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Good luck. I can think of cheaper ways of having a miserable time :biggrin:

OP
OP
vikingcyclist

vikingcyclist

vernon said:
Good luck. I can think of cheaper ways of having a miserable time :biggrin:

The wilderness is calling to me!

I really don't know why it's got stuck in my head as much as it has. It's probably a side-effect of sitting in an air-conditioned office all day.

I take it you intend touring in the UK?

What would be your threshold for tolerating cold, damp, windy and wet conditions?

Yep, in the UK. No planned route, just getting out and travelling for a few days (hence the GPS).

Threshold for cold, damp, windy and wet conditions is pretty high. I've camped in mid-winter before, with snow on the ground and just a cheap tent, sleeping bag and furs for warmth. I thought that for this it might be worth playing it a little safer by buying some decently-rated equipment rather than a £10 tend and bag.

RedBike

I should point out that I've never actually tried this winter cycle touring lark.

I have this dodgy plan of staying close to somewhere thats open 24hrs a day, preferably somewhere that sells hot drinks/food.
If I'm about to freeze to death then I will be ditching the tent and repositioning myself infront of a nice cup of coffee somewhere warm.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I should point out that I've never actually tried this winter cycle touring lark.

I have this dodgy plan of staying close to somewhere thats open 24hrs a day, preferably somewhere that sells hot drinks/food.
If I'm about to freeze to death then I will be ditching the tent and repositioning myself infront of a nice cup of coffee somewhere warm.

The Tan Hill Inn used to come close to that specification but it now closes between 03:00 and 08:00

snorri

Legendary Member
....like a motorway service station?

OP
OP
vikingcyclist

vikingcyclist

Yes. But I wasn't planning on putting my tent up on the services carpark.

I was thinking along the lines of McDonanlds / supermarkets and some petrol stations.
- I will leave the wilderness for Viking, i'm not that brave.

It's not that adventurous - I'll have a solid fuel stove with me, and a tarp for shelter, and nice warm stuff. I'll also have emergency contacts available along with a backup phone.

Although now that you mention it the idea of taking a mountain bike instead, and vanishing into the wilderness for a week to survive on my wits alone does seem quite appealing. I'm just worried that if I were to do that I'd come back to find that I've missed the zombie invasion. Maybe next year.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Shouldn't really be any problems with this if you have decent gear, although I think I'd prefer a tent than a tarp. It doesn't usually get extremely cold in the UK even in winter (some of last winter was an exception) so there's no reason you should be in any real way uncomfortable. I think that maybe boredom might be an issue given that it is dark so early, you could be faced with lying in your sleeping bag for over 16 hours unless you can pop to a pub or somewhere to spend the evenings.

willem

Über Member
I agree. Take a decent tent. The cold is not a problem, because in most places and most of the time it does not get really cold in the UK. If you have a good winter tent, a warm mattress and a warm winter sleeping bag, all should be well. Clothing will be bulkier than in summer, so a somewhat larger tent with a porch is ideal. Cycling in the cold is not much of a problem either, as long as it does not freeze: icy roads can be tricky. Rain and wind will be your biggest problems, I should think, but only while riding. So get some good gear for that. Get an Event jacket and Event overtrousers. You will also need waterproof gloves, a buff, warm (Goretex?) shoes and overshoes. Inside a good tent such as a Hilleberg, all will be well, even in really nasty weather. The problem is you will be bored. So maybe get good lights and do not stop riding too early in the day. You will appreciate that there are few places in the UK without a decent pub.
Willem

OP
OP
vikingcyclist

vikingcyclist

The problem is you will be bored. So maybe get good lights and do not stop riding too early in the day. You will appreciate that there are few places in the UK without a decent pub.
Willem

dark and boredom are what would put me off

The plan is that, if pubs fail to entertain, a combination of fire (where possible and legal), an eReader, phone and good lights will provide distraction.

I'm hoping to manage about ten hours of cycling a day, and with evening stops at pubs for meals/drinks (followed by a short cycle into the middle of nowhere to camp) I'm not expecting much of a chance to get bored. I also have a few people who're interested in joining me for a day or half a day which should make things easier.

One thing I am having second thoughts about is a route - I was planning to just get on the bike and see where it took me, but I'm starting to see a value in plotting out a route to make sure I'm somewhere suitable for camping each night, and that I'm passing through places which can provide food during the day rather than winging it.

Top Bottom