winter touring destinations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
Any suggestions? Somewhere to clock up a few thousand miles over winter with the possibility of some wild camping. My budget isn't huge but please feel free to include any destination so we can share info. Thanks :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Southern Hemisphere? New Zealand? No experience tho' just thinking out loud.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Anywhere around the Med I'd have thought, Greece, Italy, etc or anywhere it's warm. Here might a bit too hot. Id steer clear of north Africa.
Will you want to bring your bike or hire one there?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've got my eye on Morocco, for same.

Nice people, great food and landscape.
Not expensive.

Reachable by train.(from UK)

Edit

I wild camped there lots in the south of the country, back in the eighties.. No hassle at all.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Anywhere around the Med I'd have thought, Greece, Italy, etc or anywhere it's warm. Here might a bit too hot. Id steer clear of north Africa.
Will you want to bring your bike or hire one there?
Sicily could work, I have friends there who I keep meaning to visit. I would be cycling from Calais, taking a very flat route via Llyons. I meant to ride down there in 2010 but only got as far as Haute-Provence. I have friends on the North coast of Tunisia and in Malta which could be a nice extension too.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I've got my eye on Morocco, for same.

Nice people, great food and landscape.
Not expensive.

Reachable by train.(from UK)

Edit

I wild camped there lots in the south of the country, back in the eighties.. No hassle at all.
Tunisia was fab back in the 80's, you could camp on the beaches and the people were lovely. Morocco would be new for me. How safe is it in your opinion?

Good luck with your trip!

Cycleops

Legendary Member

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thanks!
I think it might have to be winter 2020 at this rate.
So much to do.

Morocco coast, and mountains both very scenic, plus fascinating towns and cities too.

French being second language very useful for me.

Darn it I want to go sooner now.

So many places that need visiting :sad::smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Sounds a bit
safer than some parts of the UK, or States right now.

Theres bound to be a degree of opportunistic crime when there's such an obvious wealth disparity, between us n them.

Staying vigilant, but also friendly to the overwhelmingly good hearted, everyday people you find out there, serves best.

Don't put it off. Next thing you know you'll be 95 and pedalling an electric trike

Don't worry, I'm not holding back on the excursions..

Wandering aplenty, going on in between everything else.
Currently sojourning in The Pyrenees right now..

Autumn tour already planned.

It's just fitting it in around everything else.

But yeah if I make it to 95 I might reward myself with an e-bike :rolleyes:

For that last gasp round the world trip perhaps :bicycle:

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I'm thinking of starting off from the Southern tip of India and riding up the West coast to Mumbai, travelling through Kerala, Karnartika, Goa and Maharashtra.

I've cycled in India and it can be tough riding through the non tourist areas, the sheer amount of attention that you attract as a cycle tourist can be a real drain. Goa is fine, Kerala should be OK too, I have a feeling that Karnataka could be pretty wild but with a few breaks in the right places, doable.

On the plus side, India is cheap, sunny, has great beaches and it's a big place to explore.

Top Bottom