Winter touring.. horrible idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizzie

Hey Everyone! I've been exploring this site for a while now, it seems like there's such a lot of friendly people on here. I was hoping maybe you could give me some advice..

Me and my boyfriend are planning a London-Oxford ride on Sunday, we've got a nice quiet route planned out and been training a bit (not enough) but I'm sliiiiightly concerned about the cloudy/chances-of-snow weather forecast. I have a tendency towards foolhardy-ness so need a bit of perspective. Shall we wrap up warm and hope for the best? Or call the whole thing off?

Any advice and tips will be hugely appreciated!

Lizzie

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
as long as the roads arnt covered in ice I would go for it

Ferdie

I have the same dilemna, I was going to go on my twice monthly ride to Portsmouth from London tomorrow but I'm a bit nervous re: black ice on country roads on the way down so I am inclined to call it off. Then again I am on skinny tyres with no traction so that's a factor in my decision

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Keep a look out for ice in the forecast, and remember that the temperatures in the countryside are lower than the numbers on the tv weather which is for towns.

Wrap up warm, and make sure you keep drinking regularly (you won't feel like you need to replace liquid, but you'll be dehydrating at just the same rate as normal.

Other than that, have fun, and be prepared to pack in and jump on a train if you think it's getting dangerous, there's nothing wrong with having a go :smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Plan an alternate route on quieter A roads, much more likely to be gritted than quiet country lanes. Decide on the day whether to use those or Plan A.

Other than that, have fun, and be prepared to pack in and jump on a train if you think it's getting dangerous, there's nothing wrong with having a go :smile:
+1

I've just been playing with an idea for a Sunday ride - 40-50 miler. And it more or less follows a railway line with lots of local stops that'll take me home if necessary.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Winter riding is great if it is a bright sunny day. If the roads are dry just be careful when the road is in the shade, behind hedges, under trees etc. Those are the places you can find ice.

Wrap up warm and take extra clothes including socks and water proofs. I actually wear my Altura waterproofs a lot at this time of the year because they make great wind breakers. It is the breeze that will make you cold.

I was riding last weekend at it was -13 in Denmark but sunny. The sea had frozen and the roads were empty. It was a wonderful ride out. But it is no fun if you are cold or wet and the weather is rubbish. So don`t feel bad if you get the train.

P1060199.jpg

P1060201.jpg

Steve

dragon72

Guru
No way. I hate being cold.
That's one of the reasons I moved to Mexico!
Mind you, I suffer badly from Reynauds in my toes and fingers if it gets below 10C. (probably caused by cycling too much!)

Three wheels makes it alot more enjoyable :-)

OP
OP
L

Lizzie

Thanks for all your replies!! So nice to be encouraged..
Plan an alternate route on quieter A roads, much more likely to be gritted than quiet country lanes
it more or less follows a railway line with lots of local stops that'll take me home if necessary.
- very good ideas! Thanks so much. I'll let you know how we get on..

Lx

OP
OP
L

Lizzie

I have the same dilemna, I was going to go on my twice monthly ride to Portsmouth from London tomorrow but I'm a bit nervous re: black ice on country roads on the way down so I am inclined to call it off. Then again I am on skinny tyres with no traction so that's a factor in my decision
Did you call it off? I'm shrinking at the thought a bit but my bf is confident so I guess we'll see what happens!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm one of those that really struggles to get warm/warmed up in this kind of weather. But if you're one of those people who can keep warm in the cold and if the weather's similar to today, I'd go for it tomorrow. Light breeze, great light.

OP
OP
L

Lizzie

I'm one of those that really struggles to get warm/warmed up in this kind of weather. But if you're one of those people who can keep warm in the cold and if the weather's similar to today, I'd go for it tomorrow. Light breeze, great light.
Yesss!! Just what I wanted to hear!

RedRider

Pulling through
Yeah, go for it. If the weather's like today's was it'll be lovely. Wear warm gloves!
If you go tell us how you get on if you like. I fancy London to Oxford quiet route myself. :bicycle:

OP
OP
L

Lizzie

Ride got cut very short because bf's back tyre exploded into an unfixable puncture.. lucky we weren't at mile 30 I guess but still so disappointed! Our lovely route will have to wait...

Top Bottom