Winter training bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris.66

Thinking of buying a single speed bike for winter training. Budget about £600.
Bikes on short list are: Langster. Dolan fxe. Genesis flyer?
Any recommendations? Should I choose steel frame or Aluminium?

MOD Edit:
Bold Removed

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm looking at the Genesis Flyer as a replacement for my trusty, Pearson, I'll be converting it to fixed if I buy it.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genesis-Flyer-2015-Road-Bike_72809.htm

OP
OP
chris.66

chris.66

I would like to try both fixed and free wheel as I've only ever ridden geared bikes!
I do like the look of the genesis flyer.My lbs say they could get one if I decided to go for one.
The cinelli also looks ok, very light as well. Would have to change the bars though! Whats the gearing on that as I couldn't get the data up on my phone.
Thanks for te replies .^_^

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Only have experience of the Langster, great bike but bought new when they were 400 quid , seems they now cost a lot more. Next time I would buy different only so that I could get proper guards on it. Never bothered with single speed don't see the point . As for frame I doubt it matters at this price point look at wheel set and finishing kit. I've rode over 15k miles on fixed since circa 2008 mostly winter riding best thing to keep your legs ticking over IMO .

User269

Unless it's very flat where you live, you need a bike with gears for winter training. Ideally, you should be developing your cadence & souplesse over the winter months & riding long steady miles.

£600 should get you an aluminium, carbon forked bike with gears.

Tell us why you want a fixed, especially for winter.

dandare

It was always thought that riding fixed did indeed develop cadence and souplesse. Not certain that it did. When I started cycling in the early 60s everyone rode about 66 to 72 fixed through the winter. It is certainly less bother than running gears through bad weather. It will not do you any harm if you want to give it a go and you don't need to live in a flat area.

D

Deleted member 1258

Unless it's very flat where you live, you need a bike with gears for winter training. Ideally, you should be developing your cadence & souplesse over the winter months & riding long steady miles.

As long as its not mountainous a fixed is OK over lumpy terrain, I have rode fixed during the winter for years, I like the simplicity, I like the extra control it gives me when its slippery, I like how enjoyable it is.

Well now, the list is fairly extensive but I will keep it short because you specifically said winter. Less distance needed to achieve the same energy output and you warm up quicker; you don't freeze on downhills because however much you are tempted you can't freewheel; cleaning is a doddle as all owners on here will know; contrary to the opinion of many, knees are strengthened riding fixed because your cadence is so much smoother, less damage done. Many of the very best competitive cyclists train on fixed in winter and start the racing season that much stronger.
My better half is as smooth as silk on a bike, very energy efficient, due in large part to riding fixed, her results over longer distances say it all.

OP
OP
chris.66

chris.66

Well I was told riding fixed will help leg strength as well as cadence.I hope also to become more efficient in my pedal stroke.
I have the option of flat or hilly so will either be spinning or grinding my way up the slopes out the saddle! Have got 2 geared bikes that I've used for previous winter training but just wanted to give fixed ago to see if it benefited me in any way!
If I got into that much I would probably use it all year round along side my geared bikes.like you say very easy to clean and maintain.
Think I'm going for the genesis flyer 2015 model as I've seen it at my lbs, but will put 25mm tyres on.
Just want to know if 46x18 is a good ratio to start with?

All comments very much appreciated thanks!

Well I was told riding fixed will help leg strength as well as cadence.I hope also to become more efficient in my pedal stroke.
I have the option of flat or hilly so will either be spinning or grinding my way up the slopes out the saddle! Have got 2 geared bikes that I've used for previous winter training but just wanted to give fixed ago to see if it benefited me in any way!
If I got into that much I would probably use it all year round along side my geared bikes.like you say very easy to clean and maintain.
Think I'm going for the genesis flyer 2015 model as I've seen it at my lbs, but will put 25mm tyres on.

I'm afraid you are asking the equivalent of what saddle do you recommend. Gearing is personal to you and therefore impossible to say what would be best. What I would suggest however is to go out on your geared bike, stay in one gear and do the toughest hills in your area, try different gears until you find one that you can just about manage as climbing on fixed is that bit easier [lighter bike, flywheel effect].

ayceejay

Guru

I think you are on the right track, I have 25's on mine and ride 46 x 19 and find this a good set up for undulating (not too hilly terrain)
with a chain whip and several different size cogs you can easily find what is right for you, just don't cut the chain too short i.e with your 46 x 18 have the rear hub attached about half way along the drop out.

dandare

Miche are good. You screw on the body and the sprockets just fit on so it is then that much easier to change sprockets. Just the locknut to undo.

Top Bottom