Winter training bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Just out of interest, are any of these new singlespeed bikes (Langster, Genesis etc) fairly light, or are they budget frames built up as S/S to fill a market niche? Fair enough with the Dolan etc and their track heritage/intended use (although the stiffness of these probably makes them less than ideal as road bikes)...

dandare

To be honest I think the answer has to be yes. Although the Langster is quite a light frame. Even so, without all the extra kit you need running gears and if you don't have a silly heavy set of wheels they still build up into a light enough bike. My Cinelli Gazetta which is a steel frame built up to just over 8 kilo. My Dawes Mono complete with Mudguards and nothing really lightweight comes out at about 10.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The Langster is exceptional value for money, I'm chuffed to bits with mine. I've done about 400 miles so far and not had any issues at all. The wheels are bomb proof, although I have stripped and greased them and removed one set of seals per wheel to make them spin better (still leaves a set of seals in place).

Does come with a fixed/fixed rear hub, although a freewheel can easily be put on one side.

Edit: I forgot to say that I did have to tape the bars as it came with half grips.

Last edited:

dandare

Agree The Langster is brilliant value for money. I loved mine till it was squished by a car. Would have had another but Winstanleys had a Dawes mono in at a bargain price so went with that.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Langster is a cracking bike only prob is mudguards. However it's fairly lightweight as standard albeit I would like to sprinkle some carbon on it and fit some uber lightweight wheels.

Top Bottom