Winter Training rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.
Just a question.
Does riding in winter / cold temperatures give any extra phisical / fitness benefits than if you ride in more mild climate conditions?

For ref cold Id say sub 7 degrees. Mild over 10ish

no - not really. Just colder.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No, although, there is the obvious issue of dedication, those who are dedicated enough to train in the cold and wet will be more likely to succeed than those who are not as dedicated.

Trail Child

I am still commuting in sub zero weather, but all my training rides are inside in front of the TV.

I'm crazy but not that crazy. ;)

ETA: I've heard of the 'burn more fat' thing before. I haven't bothered to research it excuse it's not the reason I till do it. I enjoyed running in cold too. I think it makes you mentally stronger. I do have a tendency of losing more weight in winter, but that's anecdotal.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I am still commuting in sub zero weather, but all my training rides are inside in front of the TV.

I'm crazy but not that crazy. ;)

ETA: I've heard of the 'burn more fat' thing before. I haven't bothered to research it excuse it's not the reason I till do it. I enjoyed running in cold too. I think it makes you mentally stronger. I do have a tendency of losing more weight in winter, but that's anecdotal.
It's not as true as people would like it to be really. Heat is always a byproduct of working muscle - this heat forces the body to sweat to dissipate it when it's ambiently warm - the same heat is enough to warm you in most winter conditions, providing you aren't running naked in -5 or something. The calorie requirements don't change,just how the heat is used.

No situation(hot or cold) is better for burning fat - that is a dietry and training matter

ps: :cold:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I struggle to get the temperature right for any proper cycling when its cold, so I dont really enjoy it either. Im either too cold or I overheat, sweat and get too cold and its not comfortable, so i tend to wear a bit extra and go slower, which is safe anyway I guess - Maybe a side effect of keeping away from the lycra? Im not averse to the cold though, I was out for an hour running earlier in shorts, baselayer and a top earlier at 2 degrees splashing through iced water. :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I struggle to get the temperature right for any proper cycling when its cold, so I dont really enjoy it either. Im either too cold or I overheat, sweat and get too cold and its not comfortable, so i tend to wear a bit extra and go slower, which is safe anyway I guess - Maybe a side effect of keeping away from the lycra? Im not averse to the cold though, I was out for an hour running earlier in shorts, baselayer and a top earlier at 2 degrees splashing through iced water. :smile:

Possibly part of the problem, if you wear the right clothing and layer up well you will be good to ride in the cold, the temperature shouldn't bother you much if at all and yet you shouldn't overheat, you can always remove a layer and stuff it in your jersey pocket too :smile:

So far this winter I have cycled (I cycle in all weather except ice and snow - about 38 hours a month for the last few months) with either a pair of standard lycra cycling shorts or a pair of 3/4 fleece shorts, a pair of roubaix leg and arm warmers, a base layer and then either a race jersey (tight and breathable) or more recently a fleecy inner long sleeve jersey (not because the race jersey was cold, but just because my order for club kit arrived and included this long sleeve). A pair of windstopper gloves and a pack down waterproof top off the ensemble! I have not been uncomfortable yet! Oh and some overshoe covers! Although I admit, I often don't bother and do get cold feet.

Slightly annoying as I did buy a load of nice winter gear, but I just haven't felt the need for it yet.

lulubel

Über Member
I struggle to get the temperature right for any proper cycling when its cold .... Maybe a side effect of keeping away from the lycra?

Possibly part of the problem, if you wear the right clothing and layer up well you will be good to ride in the cold, the temperature shouldn't bother you much if at all and yet you shouldn't overheat, you can always remove a layer and stuff it in your jersey pocket too

It depends a lot of what kind of riding you're doing, too. If you're riding on safe roads - as in there's nothing majorly slippery on the surface - you can push on and keep your body producing warmth, so you maintain a fairly steady temperature. If you're riding a mixture of safe and slippery roads, you get times when you're pushing on and times when you're having to take it slow, so you're liable to be too hot in one situation or too cold in the other.

My worst experience was mountain biking on Friday. I climbed over 800m, and I was pretty warm on the climb in just a thin baselayer and windstopper jacket (undone), mitts and nothing warm on my neck and head. By the time I'd done the descent into a northerly wind, I was so cold I literally couldn't feel my fingers and my stomach muscles were cramping. I really needed to carry a warm jersey, buff, hat and winter gloves to put on for the descent.

So, from my experience, the only option if you're doing varied rides in cold conditions is to be prepared to stop often and add or shed layers.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It depends a lot of what kind of riding you're doing, too. If you're riding on safe roads - as in there's nothing majorly slippery on the surface - you can push on and keep your body producing warmth, so you maintain a fairly steady temperature. If you're riding a mixture of safe and slippery roads, you get times when you're pushing on and times when you're having to take it slow, so you're liable to be too hot in one situation or too cold in the other.

My worst experience was mountain biking on Friday. I climbed over 800m, and I was pretty warm on the climb in just a thin baselayer and windstopper jacket (undone), mitts and nothing warm on my neck and head. By the time I'd done the descent into a northerly wind, I was so cold I literally couldn't feel my fingers and my stomach muscles were cramping. I really needed to carry a warm jersey, buff, hat and winter gloves to put on for the descent.

So, from my experience, the only option if you're doing varied rides in cold conditions is to be prepared to stop often and add or shed layers.

Not necessarily, if you are wearing the right technical clothing! As for hills, climbing and descending, well the wind chill is evident even in the summer, i.e. the need for windproof gilet's.

lulubel

Über Member
Not necessarily, if you are wearing the right technical clothing!

Sorry, forgot to say, how would you define the right technical clothing? I'm dripping in sweat - and I do literally mean it's dripping off me - climbing in 0-5C wearing just a Helly Hansen Dry base layer with my Gore Windstopper jacket undone. Descending in the same conditions, same clothes (but with the jacket done up and all the vents closed), I'm so cold I'm getting stomach cramps and I can't feel the brake levers.

I tried a lot of different cycle specific clothing before I moved on to non-cycling technical clothing, and the Helly Hansen is the best I've found because the sweat dries quickly. If I wore anything heavier, it would be so soaked with sweat the moment I put any effort in that I'd be chilled very quickly as soon as I reduced the effort and the sweat cooled, hence my comment about adding and removing layers.

Top Bottom