Winter tyre choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cayopro

Come on guys, answers on a postcard, winter tyres needed, Vittotia Rubino Pro III folding or the Conti GP 4000s ? Cheers

Maz

Guru
Continental GP 4000s wins hands down, IMO.

Oddsos

Über Member
I tend to use Michelein Pro 3 (and now Pro 4). Tyres are one of the few components where I can really notice a big difference in ride quality between cheap and expensive. As riding is mainly for fun I treat mysekf to expensive tyres all year round.

I haven't had any problems with grip in cold wet weather or punctures (at least until the tyre is so worn that the threads start to show through the tread).

albion

Guru
I might also ask about Marathon XR.I've been using lighter CST Selecta Kevlars and and am wondering how he heavy XR will compare for winter.

I've not got much spare cash just now and I've been running cheap wired Conti Grand Prixs and find them reliable in winter, if I had the cash conti 4 seasons would probably be my choice. I have conti grand prix 4000s's on my summer bike but other than the odd ride in torrential weather (British Summers :rolleyes: ) I've had no real experience of them in winter. On a previous bike I fitted wired Vittoria Rubinos (they came on my then new bike) and they didn't let me down but the bike probably seen less than 1000 miles before being retired to the turbo.

deanE

I am using the Kenda 700X23 tyres as supplied when bike purchased but thinking of changing for the winter. LBS suggested going up to 25c but will that not mean more potential for pinch punctures?

I am using the Kenda 700X23 tyres as supplied when bike purchased but thinking of changing for the winter. LBS suggested going up to 25c but will that not mean more potential for pinch punctures?

No, the wider the tyre I believe you are less likely to get pinches, I've never had one on 25mm or my wider town bike tyres and touch wood whilst is rare for me I have had them on my narrower 22mm and 23mm tyres.

D

Deleted member 1258

Dave Crampton

I've had Schwabe Marathon plus on my bikes all year, fine no matter what. They are no good on ice but if you're carefull to avoid ice (and back ice if you detect it) then ok. I also chose more off road route in winter as there is less chance to slip on tarmac if your on a woodland track (when frozen).

My LDS has some new spiked stock but at 42 quid a tyre I'm not sure I want a pair for the odd commute.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Michelin Pro 3s are the best tyre I've ever used at 100 lbs. Really fast, supple and comfortable.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
We all make our choices and use the tyres we consider best, but I think we would all agree that fixing a flat in the winter when the tyre is wet and muddy and our fingers are frozen is a total pain in the a%%e!!!!!!!! :angry:

Top Bottom