Winter tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swiftylee

Looking for the best overall winter tyre for road bike 700 x 23

Need to be good puncture resistant and grip

Gator skins?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
There is a thread on winter tyres in the commuter section

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/winter-tyre-choice-top-contact-or-studded.138874/

I doubt either of the above would fit a road bike.

Gators are good, some say they are slippy in the wet, Ive not experienced that and find them very grippy; I could be wrong but I suspect folk who say they are slippy run too high a pressure :rolleyes:

IME, I found that Mitchelin Kyrlion Carbons (now Pro 4 Endurance) to be the best all rounder, maybe slightly bettered by 4 seasons for grip/roll but their p'ture resistance and wear isn't as good and they cost more ;)

Wooliferkins

I run Gators all year round and have had no problems in the wet running at 100-110 psi. I do have a pair of Vittoria Open Pave on one bike which while pricey stick like the proverbial in the wet.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I doubt either of the above would fit a road bike.

Gators are good, some say they are slippy in the wet, Ive not experienced that and find them very grippy; I could be wrong but I suspect folk who say they are slippy run too high a pressure :rolleyes:

IME, I found that Mitchelin Kyrlion Carbons (now Pro 4 Endurance) to be the best all rounder, maybe slightly bettered by 4 seasons for grip/roll but their p'ture resistance and wear isn't as good and they cost more ;)

I'm not sure that there's a winter tyre less than 35mm. I hope not! Or I've wasted money buying fossals's bike..:smile:

mrBishboshed

I've replaced my conti sports with conti gator skins. They seem super puncture resistant, roll well and have felt sure footed into the bends. And the were only £20 each at wiggle. Signed up for the news letter and got a fiver off as well.

Wish I had done it weeks ago, I was picking up punctures nearly every time I went out. It was costing me a bomb in tubes. I got 23mm but am thinking 25mm may provide a bit more pot hole protection.

sreten

HI,

Why do people ride 23mm when they are not racing, especially since most racers now use around
25mm, and 28mm makes far more sense AFAICT for training in all respects, especially in winter.

rgds, sreten.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing wrong with 23mm. Why run tractor tyres ? 23mm roll the best in all conditions. I used to ride 20mm but these arent available now in any great choice.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with 23mm. Why run tractor tyres ? 23mm roll the best in all conditions.

Tyre size, the facts:
a) At the same pressure, a fatter tyre of the same type rolls better than a narrow one, so GP4S 28 @ 100psi is faster than a GP4s 23 @ 100psi
b) The same tyre will roll better at a higher pressure, so GP4S 25 @ 120psi is faster than GP4S 25 @ 80 psi
c) A narrow tyre is lighter and more aerodynamic than a fat one
d) On a rough road (aren't they all), bump losses are higher at high pressure.
e) A heavy, heavily treaded tyre rolls much worse than a light, lightly treaded tyre.
f) Maximum tyre pressure is lower the fatter the tyre

Bump losses are the energy required to jiggle all your muscle, flab etc about. This can absorb many times more energy than is lost to rolling resistance - consider how quickly you lose speed if you freewheel onto cobbles or another rough surface. You can more or less equate bump losses to comfort.

So, (a) and (d) favour a fatter tyre, (b) and (c) favour a narrow one. (e) just means don't use a mountain bike tyre on the road unless you fancy a workout.
How smooth are the roads you ride on? I use 28s at around 85psi.

Top Bottom