Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
This will be the usual array of protection v rolling resistance but for me it's Durano + although it's a very unscientific preference. :okay:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Schwalbe durano + folding version have been my winter tyre for a number years . I haven't tried the conti 4 seasons that's only because I'm a price sensitive cyclist. ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
To get any useful advice, the OP needs to say what surface they ride on, where in the country/urbanity, (roughly) what their frameset's clearance (width between fork blades probably).
Then consider the relative importance, to them, of: puncture resistance, weight, rolling resistance, durability, grip, cost. Let's have that in order.
Bicyclerollingresistance.com offers a (n apparently) impartial comparison site which I refer to in the first instance.
Here's one of tyres I've used on my road bike over the last few winters:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...ndurance-v2-2015-vs-schwalbe-durano-plus-2017

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I just ride on whatevers on the bike, usually 28mm tyres from my preferred brand.

Punctures are no different in December than they are in June

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I just ride on whatevers on the bike, usually 28mm tyres from my preferred brand.

Apart from the cold 🥶 and mud coated tyres, you’re dead right.

rivers

How far can I go?
Pirelli Cinturato Velos are my go-to for winter. Excellent puncture protection, decent rolling resistance, and tubeless ready if that's your jam.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I put marathons (Greenguard or supremes) on from sometime in Oct to end of March. Subject to what the roads look like and how the weather is going. Then remove them and put back in storage and put lighter / more supple tyres for the Warmer months.

RichardB

Slightly retro

Water is a lubricant for rubber, and wet tyres allow penetration by sharp objects more easily than dry ones. So there is a good reason to take extra precautions against p******** in the winter.

(I have created a post with the words 'lubricant', 'penetration' and 'precautions', apparently without irony. I feel slightly dirty.)

Top Bottom