Winter Warmer ride - Hebden Bridge this Saturday (Feb. 13th)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Calum

Hiya Colly, I forgot that you may be driving out to Hebden and bought a return train ticket! If you do end up heading out there, i'll still get the train as my ticket isn't refundable. On the other hand, it was only £3.35 return, so it isn't the end of the world if I don't use it... Actually, you could always get the train with me and Bokonon if you can't be arsed to drive...

Bokonon

Über Member
ColinJ said:
If we come back via the steep bugger at Thursden on the way to Widdop - a short stretch of about 25%! There are quite a few hills at 10-15% on the proposed route.

Hmm.. I might not being doing 1:4 on fixed in icy conditions. I'll have to relieve my touring bike from clothes hanger duty, put a saddle on it, oil the chain and pump up the tyres.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bromptonfb said:
i'm in. not on the brommie tho (very twitchy on ice). i'll slick out the scott, just don't laugh she gets upset!!!
Excellent - I'll add you to the list.

Bokonon said:
Hmm.. I might not being doing 1:4 on fixed in icy conditions. I'll have to relieve my touring bike from clothes hanger duty, put a saddle on it, oil the chain and pump up the tyres.
Sounds like a plan. I'll add your name to the 'yes' list.

When Alun, colly and I were out there in November we hadn't intended returning that way but decided it was the quickest way home and we were getting cold and tired.

We can see how we feel at Coldwell. If the weather and our legs are okay we could ride round to Worsthorne and come back along the Long Causeway. That would make a change and would add a few miles on.

I've added a map to the original post to show the car park where we will be meeting up.

aJohnson

I wont be able to make it, still recovering from last weeks fall, be happy if I manage to get out this weekend. I'll be sure to come to the next one though

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

aJohnson said:
I wont be able to make it, still recovering from last weeks fall, be happy if I manage to get out this weekend. I'll be sure to come to the next one though
I hadn't forgotten you aJ - I'd noticed that you were out of action so I left you off the PM list! :cry: I hope you make a rapid recovery.

If there is anybody I forgot to send a message to that has been on my rides before - sorry! The number of CycleChatters I've met is growing to the point where I'm soon going to have to write a list to keep track of you.

Ah, PaulB - I forgot you! (I don't know if you still come on CC.) You will probably be watching the football on Saturday but if you're not, you know where to find us!

longers

Legendary Member
I keep thinking about riding out to the start and waving you off and then grabbing a brew and coming home.
If the weather is half decent I might try it.

Don't be too disappointed or surprised if I'm not there.

Alun

Guru
I can't make this one I'm afraid, I'm busy this weekend. Hope to join you on the next one, although not the mini NWP unfortunately.

zacklaws

Guru
Stick me down for this one, weather looks like it may be Ok. If things go wrong then at least it will be a useful recce for when the days get longer so I will not have to faff around looking for the car parks etc.

Is Hebden Bridge a busy place Saturdays regarding car parks full etc like my home town, if your not parked up by 0900, you struggle to find a slot? Is so I'll arrive a lot earlier than planned.

Calum

Hi Zacklaws, from memory Hebden Bridge can be a bit of a nightmare for parking in the spring and summer months, but at this time of year it has been fine for us in the past. Colinj is the man with the knowhow though!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
I keep thinking about riding out to the start and waving you off and then grabbing a brew and coming home.
If the weather is half decent I might try it.

Don't be too disappointed or surprised if I'm not there.
That would be nice. If you fancied it you could ride up the first hill with us and then come straight back down it again. ;)

zacklaws said:
Stick me down for this one, weather looks like it may be Ok. If things go wrong then at least it will be a useful recce for when the days get longer so I will not have to faff around looking for the car parks etc.

Is Hebden Bridge a busy place Saturdays regarding car parks full etc like my home town, if your not parked up by 0900, you struggle to find a slot? Is so I'll arrive a lot earlier than planned.
It'll be nice to meet you Zack. Expect a nice leisurely scenic ride because I'm really unfit at the moment and this one is too hilly for me to break any speed records! If you haven't ridden round this area before, it will whet your appetite for longer rides in the spring and summer!

It does get busy in Hebden Bridge at weekends, but as Calum said - fairly early on a winter Saturday you should be okay. The old fire station behind the Market Place car park has just been pulled down and they have cleared the site to provide an extra 40 or so long-stay places.

I wouldn't aim to get there before 09:30. There is an Italian cafe directly opposite the car park in the new buildings by the river if you do arrive in plenty of time and fancy a hot drink. I think it still has the old sign - Cafe Belview - but it has recently changed hands and I don't know the new name.

I should point out that the centre of town is now pedestrianised. To get to the Market Place car park from the Halifax direction turn right up Commercial Street where the road splits on the way into Hebden Bridge. Ignore the first turn to the left which takes you to the shops. Go on another 20 yards and turn left by the White Lion (a big, very old pub). Follow the road round to the right as it crosses the river. Meercat Market Place car park is then on the right. It is pay and display and is patrolled regularly so if you intend to extend the ride to get some miles in I'd pay until at least 17:00. It was only 30p/hour last time I checked.

getmapimage.asp

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

bromptonfb said:
zacklaws. free parking can be had 1/2 mile from car parks in both directions.
Ah yes - as Shaun points out. If you want to save yourself £2.40, you could find yourself an empty spot on the A646 without yellow lines. That would be between Mytholmroyd and HB on the right hand side as you drive in.

zacklaws

Guru
Well everythings ready to go, bike tyres changed and stripped down ready to throw in the car, drinks and food made, clothes laid out, Sat nav for car programmed, Garmin Edge loaded with all waypoints mentioned. Looks an interesting area to ride on Mapsource Topo UK

Something has to go wrong!

I was right, just went downstairs and suddenly remembered my tea in the oven, a nice black pizza with black garlic bread.

Top Bottom