wire beaded tyres used as tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes, you may need a good pump..
I've done a few with the only problem being getting the bead to seal.
The new tubeless rims are much easier, so if you have tubeless ready hookless it should be quite easy.

This is using mtb tyres, so I'll say yes to road tires and CX, all about the air volume from the pump, you can use a car air line at a garrage or a new boost pump

Some tires like continental heve thin walls which can take a while to seal completely, but they will seal

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
On MTB at low pressures I have done it. I am too chicken to try on road tyres at a higher pressure, I like my face and testicles too much.
Loads say things like that but my road TL are 50-60 psi hardly just going to explode & throw the tire off.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well i finally did it. pair of 35mm vittoria randonneur tyres on a set of mavic xm319 rims.

used a converter kit from joe’s and so far the tyres are sitting at about 40psi. eschewed the rubber band suggested; it seemed to create leaks rather than fix them.

even managed to inflate the tyres using my trusty track pump.

first test will be on the commute tommorow…

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the tyres have lasted the in-bound 30km to work without any dramas. 40psi in both feels quite smooth but takes a little time to get used to; it feels a bit like your regular tyre feels when it's got a slow puncture.

might put an extra 10psi in the back as i usually prefer a bit more air in the back wheel due to the panniers on the rack.

Top Bottom