Wireless Printer for Home Use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
ooh very nice! thank you!

When I was looking for a new printer the very first thing that I did was find out the cost of replacement toner cartridges, and what brands / models worked with generic toner replacements ( and checked the cost ). Then it was the stuff like Colour / B+W , automatic double sided printing, Pages per minute ( some colour lasers feed the page through 3 times, once for each colour.)
In the end I ended up with a printer that's over the top for our needs. I'd probably get a smaller B+W laser if i had to choose again, I never thought to check the size / weight and was a bit taken aback with the bulk of the machine.

When I was looking for a new printer the very first thing that I did was find out the cost of replacement toner cartridges, and what brands / models worked with generic toner replacements ( and checked the cost ). Then it was the stuff like Colour / B+W , automatic double sided printing, Pages per minute ( some colour lasers feed the page through 3 times, once for each colour.)
In the end I ended up with a printer that's over the top for our needs. I'd probably get a smaller B+W laser if i had to choose again, I never thought to check the size / weight and was a bit taken aback with the bulk of the machine.

yeah I hear ya. can't say enough about the bullet proof B&W laser printer at work that I can find pre-owned (HP LaserJet P1006) which I highly recommend but Wifey wants wireless ...

yeah I hear ya. can't say enough about the bullet proof B&W laser printer at work that I can find pre-owned (HP LaserJet P1006) which I highly recommend but Wifey wants wireless ...
Why does she want wireless? Do you need to move the printer around?

we have an HP colour laser jet. It’s wired to the Wi-Fi router, so I can print direct from my iPad/iPhone. Wouldn’t a similar setup satisfy her needs?

got an HP Deskjet 2700e. printed from my phone, Wifey printed from her phone & then from her laptop, no wires. my laptop is an older MAC & the HP driver doesn't support it, but I was able to print with the USB wire

as for pleasing Wifey ... if she wants wireless, I'm better off getting wireless. it's just easier. gotta choose my battles right? I win so few of them anyway ... but she's a sweetie :smooch:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Epson Ecotank, a bit more expensive but the bottles of ink are peanuts and last for ages.

Another vote here for the Epson Ecotank printer/scanners. I’m still using the original ink that came in the printer’s tanks when I bought the printer, they just go on and on.

I didn’t buy the printer specifically for printing photos, however I have printed a few on glossy paper and I’m rather impressed with the quality.

My main reason for buying an Ecotank printer/scanner was the low running costs resulting from the printer not using expensive proprietary ink cartridges.

Alex321

Veteran
Why does she want wireless? Do you need to move the printer around?

we have an HP colour laser jet. It’s wired to the Wi-Fi router, so I can print direct from my iPad/iPhone. Wouldn’t a similar setup satisfy her needs?
We don't all have the router in a reasonable place to put the printer, or want wires trailing to another room.

Our router is on the windowsill in one room (next to the telephone point), the printer is on the desk in another room, and we print to it from the desktop computer (same room), a laptop (usually upstairs), a table & a phone, which can be anywhere.

I'm very glad we have a wireless printer, even though it never moves.

Gunk

Guru
Another vote here for the Epson Ecotank printer/scanners. I’m still using the original ink that came in the printer’s tanks when I bought the printer, they just go on and on.

I didn’t buy the printer specifically for printing photos, however I have printed a few on glossy paper and I’m rather impressed with the quality.

My main reason for buying an Ecotank printer/scanner was the low running costs resulting from the printer not using expensive proprietary ink cartridges.

Ours is used constantly, four bottles of generic ink on eBay are £8.50 and lasts about six months! We were spending about £40 a month with our old ink jet printer.

Reactions: JtB

Tenkaykev

Guru
Our printer sits in an upstairs cupboard. Its attached to the router with an ethernet cable and is also on our wireless network. Any of the kids visiting can print to it from their phones as the phones "remember" our wireless passwords. I've learnt to listen for the sound of the printer engine warming up, by the time I walk upstairs to the printer the pages are ready. I've put it on a energy monitoring timer plug, it takes less than half a watt in it's " Deep Sleep " mode, in September it consumed 0.55Kwh.

Gunk

Guru
Ours lives in the garage :laugh:

B16BBAED-9EFA-4B5D-AFB9-8E9A61358438.jpeg

Yes, it's worth remembering that any printer with wired Ethernet becomes a "wireless printer" if you plug it into your wifi hub.

On which point you could also connect it to the network using 'power line' adapters so it can be used from anywhere there is a power socket - which it will need anyway.
Just don't try using it with a surge protected adapter

Top Bottom