Wish me luck...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
Think about it , why is load on qr any diff on a single speed freewheel as opposed to a 10 ( or whatever ) spd cassette ( which is just a freewheel with more than one sprocket ?

It's fixed that changes it

goody

Veteran
I used a QR when I rode fixed it was fine as long as was done up tight (shimano type) I would have thought you'd generate a lot more 'torque' when pedalling forwards from standstill than resisting.

jim55

Guru
I used a QR when I rode fixed it was fine as long as was done up tight (shimano type) I would have thought you'd generate a lot more 'torque' when pedalling forwards from standstill than resisting.
Well it's a combo of both forwards and back but obv you don't pedal back on freewheel ( well maybe you do but there's no force in it

jim55

Guru
Read this vikster

taken from MTBR.com

Quick-release skewers can be used on frames with track fork ends or horizontal dropouts, but care should be taken in selecting what type of skewer to use. Modern alloy skewers usually cannot be clamped down tightly enough to hold the rear wheel in place. This may lead to the wheel slipping under load. Older, heavy-duty steel skewers like early Shimano XTs seem to work the best for people choosing to use a quick-release on the rear. Adding chaintugs would also reduce the likelihood of slippage.

and sheldon -

Conventional wisdom is that you need a solid (nutted or "bolt-on") axle hub for fixed-gear or singlespeed use, and that a quick-release will not hold the wheel solidly enough in a horizontal fork end. This is not true, however.

Since most newer bikes have vertical dropouts, people have gotten used to wimpy aluminum skewers, and often don't adjust them as tightly as they might.

If you use a good quality (Shimano is the best) skewer , tightened securely, it will hold just fine in any type of dropout or fork end .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I prefer bolts too.
Anyway, you got bolts now, no use discussing quick release when you haven't got one ... men! :laugh:
Give it another bash after dinner, it will be lovely for you to admire successful a first time fettle.

Top Bottom