Wish me luck...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've removed the rear wheel from the Touche to adorn it with some rather fetching new blue tyres. Being utterly mechanically inept, there may well be much cursing from my residence while I a) change the tyres and b) try to get the rear wheel and chain back on. I am however feeling very chuffed with myself having managed earlier to get the chain back on after it came off...by the roadside no less! :ohmy:

This was after I asked Pearsons to loosen the rear bolts for feeble me so I could attempt this feat of technical hoopla later! :blush: (I am not sure if this caused the chain to come off, the bolts weren't finger loose)

BTW can anyone recommend a better portable 15mm spanner - I will undoubtedly fail later with the £2 dumbell job I got from Wilkos (I may have more success tightening the bolts with the piece of Leerdammer in my fridge)

User269

What are these 'rear bolts' of which you speak?

RedRider

Pulling through
This surly one gets good reviews but I make do with this from Halfords which is slightly too big really :

IMAG0422.jpg

( yes, I am just enjoying an after work Duvel but it does help with the spanner work too)

KneesUp

Guru
How are you getting on?

I have a socket set (because I used to own an Italian car) and a set of spanners I got from Aldi - they go from 'smaller than you'll need' to 'larger than you will need' - they are a ring spanner at one end and a c spanner at the other. I just carry the ones I need - they don't weigh much. I think it as £15 for the set - well worth it to add to the toolkit. Or I suppose if it's just for bikes you could get 8mm, 10mm, 13mm and 15mm (the only ones I seem to use - wheels on my daughter's little bike had 13mm nuts) from a hardware shop. The big spanner wedged in an used as a massive screwdriver is the only way to get the spare wheel carrier off my car, so personally it is good to have them all, but if you don't have the delight of knackered old cars you shouldn't need them all :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've managed to do that now. However, my neighbour helped me with tyre having heard me cursing. I am now looking at the front one with trepidation! Not easy with a bad right shoulder and a dodgy left hand!
The chain does look a bit slack while the bike is upside down!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
You mean..............there's such a thing as no QR??...............but, but, ........................surely that was all back in my grandad's day??:laugh:
Can't use a QR with horizontal drop outs (I think they are called) on a SS

Does your bike have one of those funny dérailleur thingummy whatsits? Get back in the main forum, this is the fixed and single speed special area ;)

jim55

Guru
Can't use a QR with horizontal drop outs (I think they are called) on a SS

Does your bike have one of those funny dérailleur thingummy whatsits? Get back in the main forum, this is the fixed and single speed special area ;)
Yes you can !!!!!!

A qr is not recc for fixed wheel though

jim55

Guru
Rubbish ,,, there's loadsa guys running ss and qr , but with fixed u need a good tight chain and a really solid rear wheel ( jutted cos a qr doesn't gen grip tight enough )
The torque when slowing down ( through back peddling ) is a lot of force and if the axle moves. A wee bit it'll loosen chain and prob b a potential disaster, not so critical for ss so if fixed go netted axle , but yeah qr is fine on ss(as long as it's mega tight )

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Rubbish ,,, there's loadsa guys running ss and qr , but with fixed u need a good tight chain and a really solid rear wheel ( jutted cos a qr doesn't gen grip tight enough )
The torque when slowing down ( through back peddling ) is a lot of force and if the axle moves. A wee bit it'll loosen chain and prob b a potential disaster, not so critical for ss so if fixed go netted axle , but yeah qr is fine on ss(as long as it's mega tight )
That means absolutely nothing to me!

Top Bottom