With all this talk of doping....how long should they be banned for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, life.

Or have a condition in a rider's contract that states that all winnings or bonuses are too be returned should said rider fail a drugs test.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'll stick with WADA. 2 years first offence, life for second. I'd also like the IAAF system of registering where you are going to be for 1hr every day with the testers.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Banned for Life and made to return all prize money along with interest based on the time you have unfairly had it.

The risks need to be so much larger than any possible rewards imho

I think there should be a scale according to the perceived severity of the doping offence:

Scenario A: It's a bloke we all like and we recognise something of ourselves in him. Caught doping, but we know it was probably a poorly chosen remedy for a mis-diagnosed bout of flu. He is a good sort and would never knowingly dope.

Ban: 1 Week (reduced by seven days if he does a good 'contrite' face).

Scenario B: A foreign-looking Johnny or someone we don't understand or don't like the look of. He may ride for some dodgy-sounding team with Cyrillic letters in its name or a Basque-like excess of unnecessary consonants. This chap does not give interviews in English. He shoots some cock & bull story about a cold remedy and we know he's been at the EPO since he was five, the dirty cheat.

Ban: Life.

I think this would sort the sport out once and for all and would save a lot of troublesome arguing, some of it in foreign tongues.

Carry on.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i wouldnt like a ban first off as i believe in people making mistakes being given a second chance. but i dont thin k 2 years is enough.

id like to see say an 5 year ban, reduced to 3 if they jump through hoops, second time 10 years

or something like that anyway

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
2005034 said:
5 years for a young rider would probably translate into life in effect because they would be out of the sport too long when they should be building a reputation.
true, but it at least gives them a chance of returning but is big enough to be a large deterrent

Yep, life.

Or have a condition in a rider's contract that states that all winnings or bonuses are too be returned should said rider fail a drugs test.

Might such things not tempt an unscrupulous team owner to put some special milk in the rider's tea if he was getting too expensive?

Top Bottom