With what do you carve...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ShiningShelleyMes.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Dell's forgotten his keys again.

TVC

A couple of years back I treated myself to a good set of professional knives and it's turned out to be one of the best investments I've ever made after years of disappointment with basic supermarket blades. So it's a good balanced knife sharpened on a steel for me.

Although I do prefer a shoulder cut of meat that is very slow roasted and can be carved with a pair of spoons.

subaqua

What’s the point
a prestige carving knife from the block I bought 12 years ago with some vouchers we got from Debenhams for hosting a wedding list there. the steel is a standard sharpening steel and the knives get sharpened as they need it. I use the arm hair shave test to see if its sharp enough. mrs sub put tjhe carver through an electric sharpener just before Christmas- took me a lot of effort to get the edge back. Not a knife snob but i do like tools to be properly maintained

Maz

Guru
Am I alone in thinking that unless you are arthritic or something, you must be a really lazy bugger if you use an electric carving knife?

The answer is probably a resounding 'YES'.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Am I alone in thinking that unless you are arthritic or something, you must be a really lazy bugger if you use an electric carving knife?

The answer is probably a resounding 'YES'.
Errr, NO.

hotmetal

Those of you using sabatier knives....
'Real' sabatier knives from one the 19th C founding fathers companies in Thiers or some old mass produced tat with the word Sabatier on them?
Yep, I'm a knife snob...

Yeah, I fell for that one. My mum swears by Sabatier despite the fact that they look like they came from a jumble sale and go rusty if you don't dry them immediately. Hers are sharper than a very sharp thing that has just been sharpened. So I saw a set of "Sabatier" knives and decided to treat myself to a decent set. Well, the cook's knife isn't too bad and I can get a semi-reasonable edge on it, the carving knife is OK too but the little utility knives are rubbish! They're definitely some old mass produced stainless tat with the word Sabatier on, you could cut a lemon and not wipe the blade clean and they'd still be shiny but blunt. What I want to know is how the "Sabatier" name can be just stuck on any old bit of stainless. I do want a proper decent knife or two. Obviously you get what you pay for though, and I'm not about to blow £100+ on some domestic samurai sword just so I can get nice even slices of roast chicken…

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yeah, I fell for that one. My mum swears by Sabatier despite the fact that they look like they came from a jumble sale and go rusty if you don't dry them immediately. Hers are sharper than a very sharp thing that has just been sharpened. So I saw a set of "Sabatier" knives and decided to treat myself to a decent set. Well, the cook's knife isn't too bad and I can get a semi-reasonable edge on it, the carving knife is OK too but the little utility knives are rubbish! They're definitely some old mass produced stainless tat with the word Sabatier on, you could cut a lemon and not wipe the blade clean and they'd still be shiny but blunt. What I want to know is how the "Sabatier" name can be just stuck on any old bit of stainless. I do want a proper decent knife or two. Obviously you get what you pay for though, and I'm not about to blow £100+ on some domestic samurai sword just so I can get nice even slices of roast chicken…
Because it pre-dates Trademark Laws. If you google it you'll get the whole story. I've got a set of Taiwanese ROC Sabatier knives in a drawer somewhere. As much use a chocolate brake pad.

hotmetal

Hmm, interesting reading. Proves how important brands are (like that needs proving!) In the case of purely fashion clothing (think cK teeshirts) the brand really is more important than the quality of the cloth for most people, but that's not the case with knives (or brake pads of the chocolate or real variety).

I would now not buy any Sabatier branded knife on the basis that it's probably an inferior product abusing the name. Maybe I should save up for a Wusthof or Henckels and be done with it. Then again, even my aforementioned Richardson Sheffield "Sabatier" knives pass the "back of thumbnail/angled blade slide test" after a quick sharpening on my waterstone.:hungry:

Top Bottom