With what do you carve...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't carve more than about once a year. Pasta doesn't need carving... ;)
Then how do they get them into all those funny shapes?:scratch:

^_^

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They don't have to be expensive, as long as the blade will hold a good edge. Learning how to give a blade a good edge is more important than the knife itself. I have a £10 pocket knife which I can shave my arms with!
I've shaved with an Opinel pocket knife, one made by little mester Trevor Ablett in Sheffield, and with a Feather disposable scalpel. After all a razor is just a very sharp knife. The last one was a scary experiment/experience.

Day-to-day I stick with my Merkur and a feather blade though.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Those of you using sabatier knives....

'Real' sabatier knives from one the 19th C founding fathers companies in Thiers or some old mass produced tat with the word Sabatier on them?

Yep, I'm a knife snob...

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've shaved with an Opinel pocket knife, one made by little mester Trevor Ablett in Sheffield, and with a Feather disposable scalpel. After all a razor is just a very sharp knife. The last one was a scary experiment/experience.
I used to test the sharpness of all my workshop edge tools by shaving with them.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Those of you using sabatier knives....

'Real' sabatier knives from one the 19th C founding fathers companies in Thiers or some old mass produced tat with the word Sabatier on them?

Yep, I'm a knife snob...
Well that's brought an edge to the gentle ramblings.

as said before, the trick is to get a good edge on a blade.

Unfortunately not all knives will take a good edge without a lot of hard work. Your standard stainless steel knife is rubbish. You need an old fashioned carbon steel knife or a knife with a higher carbon content.

Not all Sabatiers are good because there are so many different manufacturers of "Sabatier" knives.

I have found Global to be quite good and also Kin knives from Japan.

I was disappointed with ceramic.

Top Bottom