Witnessed a SMIDSY collision this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

It is definitely a 2 lane road and is always treated as such. Interestingly, the wide angle lens on the Google Street Level camera makes it look a lot narrower than it is.
Notwithstanding insurance wriggling, if there's no white line, it's a single lane, IMO.

400bhp

Guru
In your opinion Norm, not in mine.

Perhaps 20 odd years ago when traffic was less dense, but nowadays on such roads it is a two laner (in particular that road).

If there's room for a car to pass another making a right hand turn then the driver turning across the flow of traffic should be prepared for this to happen. It's a regular occurence - most people do it.

If you cross the flow of traffic, fill that gap, and then get hit it's your own fault.

Bicycle

And technically has a legal right to exchange details too!

I'm surprised to hear that. Do you mean right, duty or responsibility?

I flashed a car out of a station car park a year or so ago and it crumped a ninja motorcycle who was unlit at dusk. The Police attended and although they heard my side it was as a witness. They assured me that under law I played no part in the collision.

The motorcyclist took a swan dive over the bonnet and was knocked out. I was the first to him and initialy thought him dead. When I eventually heard a muffled snoring through his visor I was greatly relieved.

I still feel bad about not seeing him, but I was assured at the scene thatmy actions would not under any circumstances be considered a contributory factor.

I'm going to go back and change that post!

Yes, a legal responsibility. Now, for this next bit, I'll say now, feel free to google and nitpick, as I'm giving the legal definition of an 'accident' ad hoc from memory here, so doubt I'll get it word for word as it is in the Road Traffic Act...

'If due to the presence of a motor vehicle on the road, an accident occurs whereby ... (secondary bit is about what constitutes 'an accident')'

So yes, if a motor vehicles presence on the road has any part in the accident, then they are considered as a motor vehicle involved in the accident, and thus have responsibility to exchange details. Legally. Technically.

So yes, Bicycle - the bobbies that dealt with you 'technically' got it wrong. You should have exchanged details, however applying a bit of common sense, if neither of the other drivers thought you were to blame, if the officers didn't think you were really to blame (and for the record, IMHO you weren't!), then they may have actively decided it simply wasn't worth it - besides, they had your details later if needed.

Top Bottom