Wobbling front wheel on my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User66445

Happened for the first time a couple months ago - it's the cobblestones. The front wheel is the model with the dynamo fitted.

Problem is, I didn't catch it until late - Paris isn't the quietist city in the world - but happened again yesterday. I'll tighten it up, of course, but am a little concerned by the increased noise ...

Any observations or is it a case of accepting the inevitable and taking it into Brompton next week?

chriscross1966

Über Member
If that's the shimano dynamo then the skewers need to be nipped up properly or they will come loose. It doesnt seem to be something that happens gradually in my experience... ie weeks or months of it being fine, then ten minutes riding when you checked it before you left and the damn thing has loosened off. My SON seems to suffer less with the problem, and the titanium skewer i put on the Shimano didnt do it either, but wasn't really on there long enough to make a difference.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your post isn't very clear. Do you mean that the spokes are loose or that the axle is loose in the frame? If the former, you need to take the wheel to a mechanic for the sake of your front teeth and if the latter, the quick-release needs to be cammed shut extremely tight, tight enough to leave an imprint on your hand. You are camming the lever over, not just screwing it round?

chriscross1966

Über Member
If this is a 'QR comes loose' issue, read this (very recent) thread:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/rear-wheel-moving-over-in-dropout.247533/
The Brompton uses a skewer that isn't QR, rather like the security skewers folks on old-fashioned penny-pennies use if they're more paranoid about wheel theft than punctures. If you have the in-frame toolkit then it has the correct allen bit to tighten the skewer. H+H make an aftermarket Ti skewer that is usefully stainless and a bit lighter than the stock one.

Top Bottom