Wobbly cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
:smile:
I went no further than 9 and these days spend much of my time on 8.
I still have 9 speed on my Basso but it is wearing out. I have 10 speed replacement shifters waiting to be fitted so that bike will join my other 10 speed bikes soon. I have a feeling that my MTB is 9 speed but I have not got access to it today so I can't check.

Sharky

Guru
It was a few cassettes ago, but I seem to recall that I had a problem getting enough tightness with the new lock ring that came with the new cassette. I reverted to using the previous lock ring that came with the wheel and it tightened up ok.

I still have 9 speed on my Basso but it is wearing out. I have 10 speed replacement shifters waiting to be fitted so that bike will join my other 10 speed bikes soon. .
Got to ask colin - why are you going to the bother of changing it to 10 speed? What will you gain?

Sharky

Guru
Got to ask colin - why are you going to the bother of changing it to 10 speed? What will you gain?
I am in a similar position to Colin. I have a trusty 9 speed Xenon/Ribble bike and I like very much the set up and also a 10 speed SRAM/Focus. It would be lovely to have all the bikes with the same set up, so that the back wheels are interchangeable when needed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a trusty 9 speed Xenon/Ribble bike and I like very much the set up and also a 10 speed SRAM/Focus. It would be lovely to have all the bikes with the same set up, so that the back wheels are interchangeable when needed.
Easy and much cheaper solution than moving to 10: swap out the SRAM 10 sp on the Focus for 9sp Campagnolo.

ColinJ

One extra gear! :laugh:

Actually, I will gain higher and lower gears without too many extra big steps between gears. I will be switching to 13-29 or 12-30 from 14-28.

The 9 speed shifters are about 17 years old and gear changes are getting a bit sloppy. I could overhaul them but I got hold of some replacement 10 speed shifters for a low price on the forum so I thought I would step up to 10.

I intend to keep my best bike in very good condition by moving sprockets and chains over to the new 10 speed bike when they start wearing and replacing with new ones.

I am going to use the 9 speed controls as brake levers only on a single-speed bike project.

ColinJ

Do let me know where you can get the Shimano/SRAM 13-29 cassette. I have been looking for one of those, or is this a 'made-up (ie custom made up) by you' one?
Sorry - the bike I used with a wobbly Shimano cassette belonged my cousin. I think the cassette on that was 12-27.

The 13-29 & 12-30 cassettes I mentioned later are Campagnolo ones for my own bikes.

Top Bottom