Wobbly cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shack

Hi all, I picked up a gravel bike the other week and the PO let me have the original wheelset (devoid of all useful things like rotors, skewers, tubes and until today a cassette.
So having correctly fitted a cassette on there appears to be some oscillation, and I can wiggle the cassette around a little (never had any movement on other cassettes on any previous bike) it is secured on the hub (locknut) and suspect it's a hub wiggle.
Question 1- what might be causing it Question 2- what can I do to address this?
Thanks

Depending on the hub and what speed cassette you may need a spacer.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
If the free hub is wobbling as well, it will be the sealed bearings in the actual free hub, but this would usually be accompanied by a very unpleasant grating noise.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the OP can't properly tighten the lockring (it 'bottoms out' and you can move the sprockets side to side) then (@DRM forgive the parody): probably an 10 speed hub, with a 10 speed cassette, you’ll need a spacer.

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

Thanks all, it's an 11 speed directly replacing what would have been an 11 speed, touring the internet/ YouTube I think I will look at tightening the cones. The lock nut on the 105 cassette seems to fully engage it's the whole cassette hub body that wobbles. I'll update as I discover more

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Take the cassette off, and see if you get any play. Mavic freehubs can move a little, but it doesn't affect use - they have a polly bushing as well as bearings. Other hubs run on bearings and you may have a worn bearing - doesn't always accompany with a noise as they can develop play if cartridge bearings. Relatively easy to replace though.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thanks all, it's an 11 speed directly replacing what would have been an 11 speed, touring the internet/ YouTube I think I will look at tightening the cones. The lock nut on the 105 cassette seems to fully engage it's the whole cassette hub body that wobbles. I'll update as I discover more
I was going to say it could be the wheel bearings. Is there any play if you try to move the wheel in situ side to side ?

battered

Guru
I was going to say it could be the wheel bearings. Is there any play if you try to move the wheel in situ side to side ?
A very good suggestion. I once spent a very long time truing a wheel before I realised that the sideways movement was coming from bearing wear. Sometimes you forget to fix the basics first.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Take the cassette off, and see if you get any play. Mavic freehubs can move a little, but it doesn't affect use - they have a polly bushing as well as bearings. Other hubs run on bearings and you may have a worn bearing - doesn't always accompany with a noise as they can develop play if cartridge bearings. Relatively easy to replace though.
which might be why they gave you them for free!

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

I've picked up some better quality cone spanners so hope to be able to have a proper looks and clean and adjust on Thursday. Any reason I couldn't/ couldn't use lithium grease on the bearings (a quick scout around the man cave found only that or copper grease which feels a little abrasive for bearings)
Thanks for all you help so far folks

weareHKR

I've picked up some better quality cone spanners so hope to be able to have a proper looks and clean and adjust on Thursday. Any reason I couldn't/ couldn't use lithium grease on the bearings (a quick scout around the man cave found only that or copper grease which feels a little abrasive for bearings)
Lithium grease is fine & ok for bearings.
Copper grease is an anti-seize compound.

OP
OP
Shack

Shack

Lithium grease is fine & ok for bearings.
Copper grease is an anti-seize compound.
Yep that's what I usually use it for, and felt it might be a little abrasive for moving parts, I have some bog standard grease somewhere but the man cave is a bit Horder next door, and not as organiser as I would like, so down to two

battered

Guru
Lithium grease is the correct material for bearings. Most "standard grease" is lithium grease . Grease is a mixtur e, I'm not sure whether it's chemically an emulsion or a suspension, of a soap and a lubricating oil. The lithium bit is the salt used to form the soap component. The soap stops the oil draining away, if it's a water soluble soap, like the sodium soap in your bathroom, the grease is water miscible. If it's not water soluble, like lithium soap in lithium grease, it's waterproof.

Top Bottom