"Wobbly" headset on kid's bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wobbly.jpg

I*m working on a child's (toy level) bike and I can't get the headset to stop wobbling. It appears to be held together with the bolt arrangement above, but try as I might there seems to be a permanent wobble, as if the headset isn't properly tightened. Overall the bike is clearly made cheaply with basic materials.

Is there something I'm missing or is it simply due to the cheap construction on the bike?

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 651839

I*m working on a child's (toy level) bike and I can't get the headset to stop wobbling. It appears to be held together with the bolt arrangement above, but try as I might there seems to be a permanent wobble, as if the headset isn't properly tightened. Overall the bike is clearly made cheaply with basic materials.

Is there something I'm missing or is it simply due to the cheap construction on the bike?
Cheap and poorly made.

Undo the nut and bolt, pressing the collar down onto the plastic headset to tighten it up and stop the wobbling. The retighten the nut and bolt
The only other thing is, there should be a thin metal washer under the collar, between it and the plastic.

Cheap and poorly made.

Undo the nut and bolt, pressing the collar down onto the plastic headset to tighten it up and stop the wobbling. The retighten the nut and bolt
The only other thing is, there should be a thin metal washer under the collar, between it and the plastic.

I'd already tried the method you mentioned to no avail, but that may be the lack of a washer, so thanks for the tip.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've worked on a couple of these for neighbours and couldn't believe how cynical you would have to be to put something like this on the market.

Guaranteed to put any small child off cycling.

Do the world a favour and put it in the skip!

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 651839

There is one other thing, two actually. That nut & bolt should be at the back, and covered by something like this.
IMG_20220707_213426.jpg

Top Bottom