Woman who caused the TDF crash arrested.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The TdF organisers actively encourage the public to get close to the riders. It's all part of The Spectacle. Can they really righteously whinge when it goes a bit wrong?

KneesUp

Guru
I find this all very strange - there have been loads of incidents over the years in loads of different races - from the ones @Accy cyclist mentions to the repeated spitting at riders, as well as throwing urine at the Sky (mainly) riders.

And I can't think of one single time that anyone has been pursued by the gendarmes or ASO until now. I could be wrong but I've certainly never noticed such an obvious media involvement before.

What makes this one different?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

Would you have the same attitude if someone knocked you off your bike and it was badly damaged?

That's a good point actually. If any of us were riding down the road (OK probably not at +50kmh) and a member of the public accidentally caused such an incident then i'd be quite sure their public liability insurance would get a call: broken bike, damaged clothing and equipment not to mention hospital bill and then medical treatment costs. A guy i bought a bike from last year was rear ended by a car, bike damaged etc and he had some scuffs and cuts, bike bill was a few thousand and the medical bill was about 5k, the car drivers insurance covered it all.

It's an offence to encroach onto the field of play at most sporting events in arenas, I suspect closing the roads brings in some sort of similar legislation.

dodgy

What makes this one different?

It is a particularly egregious example where there is no doubt whatsoever that the spectator is at fault, not just at fault but clearly without any care for the safety of others. It was also stage 1 and in full camera view.
France is also still struggling with the pandemic, as are many countries, and anything that leads to hospital admissions is going to look bad.

hoopdriver

Guru
And the consequences were also spectacular - bringing down scores of riders, damaging or totalling many expensive bicycles, injuring competitors, putting at least one of them out of the race. That it wasn’t even worse is down to pure luck. People have to learn to take responsibility for their actions, and that was a wholly avoidable disaster caused purely by this idiot’s unthinking narcissism.

The TdF organisers actively encourage the public to get close to the riders. It's all part of The Spectacle. Can they really righteously whinge when it goes a bit wrong?
No they don't. They encourage to come out and support. (and they don't sell tickets, which is nice of them IMO).The vast majority do this safely, several metres away from the riders and the cars that precede/follow them.

The orgs even put barriers up on large sections to keep spectators back. Gendarmes are deployed within the crowd on some sections where barriers aren't practicable. It's pretty clear that they don't want spectators run over by the tour convoy or the riders.

It does continue to annoy me that and sizable amount of the "spectators" are not watching the riders, but grinning and waving to the camera bikes as the race passes by, trying to get their 30 seconds of fame. Typical of the social media generation I'm afraid.
Particularly pathetic of course as you usually have to stand around for hours for the riders to whizz past in seconds.

It's pretty clear that they don't want spectators run over by the tour convoy or the riders.
When i saw the tour in kent some of the french police motorbike riders were riding with their hands raised well above the bars, ie look mum no hands. We were stood in a dip on a bend.

Top Bottom