Woman who caused the TDF crash arrested.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
That's true, but it's also fairly clear that she did not intend to cause the TDF to have a massive crash. She has some culpability for being an idiot but it's hard to see what criminal offence she could be charged with.

She has been charged with two offences, the first being 'endangering others through a manifestly deliberate violation of a duty of prudence or safety' and, as a consequence, 'involuntarily causing injuries that lead to an inability to work for up to three months'.

icowden

Veteran
She has been charged with two offences, the first being 'endangering others through a manifestly deliberate violation of a duty of prudence or safety' and, as a consequence, 'involuntarily causing injuries that lead to an inability to work for up to three months'.

Yep and she faces a fine of up to 1500 euros. Depending on her personal circumstances she will lose some money. Will it solve the problem and stop people being daft? Nope.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Yep and she faces a fine of up to 1500 euros. Depending on her personal circumstances she will lose some money. Will it solve the problem and stop people being daft? Nope.
Laws besides punishing and rehabilitating offenders act as deterrent. With this prosecution and the accompanying publicity it will reduce such incidents.

I think it time for the French to protect the riders, the race and the many benefits it bring to industry and society, from the actions of a tiny few.

icowden

Veteran
It might. Better than just a Gallic Shrug. You do believe that legal punishments have *some* deterrence effect, no?

I do, but you can't "deter" something that is unintentional. By it's nature it is unintentional. An accident.
It always seems odd to me that the TDF cycle so close that any accident is enough to bring down the entire field. I can't think of another sport where that happens.

hoopdriver

Guru
I beg your pardon? Unintentional? Did a sign just materialise in her hands? Did a force beyond her control shift her forward so that she found herself in the road, holding this sign that came from nowhere?

No - she made the sign. She went to the race. She stood by the road and when the TV cameras passed she stepped out into the road, holding up her sign for the camera - a wholly intentional act. The consequences were unintentional, sure, but so are the consequences when a motorist clips a cyclist while texting. Are you seriously suggesting that a motorist should be let off because they never intended to hurt anyone? Seriously?

I do, but you can't "deter" something that is unintentional. By it's nature it is unintentional.

Most pertinently, it was *unthinking* behaviour on the spectator's part, in the sense of failing to consider the context and possible consequences of her actions. If she does receive some significant penalty, it just may encourage some people to think about the potential, personal consequences of their behaviour on the race route and thereby be less likely to unintentionally cause collisions.

@hoopdriver one like isn’t enough for that post
@icowden it seems odd that they ride so close, really?? How else do you suggest they race each other , it seems odd to me that anyone would actually post that statement :wacko:

icowden

Veteran
it seems odd that they ride so close, really?? How else do you suggest they race each other , it seems odd to me that anyone would actually post that statement

Why? If a single driver mistake in F1 could cause catastrophic damage to the entire field of cars, do you not think that safety rules would be changed? Tracks are planner with runoffs, viewers are kept well back from the race etc.

Yes, I know this is a long distance road race, so it's impossible to police the whole route, but it should be possible to improve safety for the riders.
The reason that this crash was so significant is that when one rider wobbled, there was no space to recover. He went down and then took out almost the entire peloton with bicycle dominoes. Maybe the pack needs to be kept thinner? I don't have a solution but dominoes seems problematic.

I don’t think the crowd is kept away from formula 1 track in case they cause driver issues !!! Do you . How about horse racing , marathon runners should they all be kept apart oh hang on , it wouldn’t be racing would it, here’s an idea that’s been mentioned before

how about spectators don’t hang placards into the road , i can’t See why you want the riders to alter behaviour when it wasn’t caused by a rider
As I said earlier I have been to many cycle races and personally have never knocked a rider off and it was easy to avoid
There is your answer it just needs spectators to stop being nob eds

Top Bottom