Woman who caused the TDF crash arrested.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But she should have realised, i have been to many cycle races as a FAN , i have never to date knocked a rider off or caused a crash or any other type of incident , and guess what , it was really simple to avoid doing it .
Agreed - but every year you see a VERY SMALL number of people who act like idiots.
It is normally on mountain stages and some of them think they are helping

most years I see someone about to cause a problem when someone else yanks them back - either an official or a Police person - but ften just another spectator

but there are also some who just want to get on telly
This person just took it too far

Maybe this threatened lawsuit may fire a warning across the bows of some people and get them to behave

Last edited by a moderator:
The TdF that I see seems to exist in some kind of parallel reality..... View attachment 596828

Is this a fast section of the course? Are the officials shoo-ing fans in closer, trying to create this spectacle? Did they have infinite resources to barrier the whole route, but actually thought "Naaa, let's leave that section free for fans to do what the fark they want, cos if a rider gets knocked off we'll get farking tons of news coverage. Yeah boi!"

I guarantee that not long before, several cars drove through, parting the crowds to a sensible safe distance. Are you willing to testfiiy otherwise? Hmmm?

KneesUp

Guru
LOL! Let's just say the French look after their gendarmes.
What about the spectator with the bag that took out the maillot jaune? Nothing then either.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Marvellous. You win the farking smartarse award; there's one on every thread. But if you still have a brain cell, think about this:

Is this a fast section of the course? Are the officials shoo-ing fans in closer, trying to create this spectacle? Did they have infinite resources to barrier the whole route, but actually thought "Naaa, let's leave that section free for fans to do what the fark they want, cos if a rider gets knocked off we'll get farking tons of news coverage. Yeah boi!"

I guarantee that not long before, several cars drove through, parting the crowds to a sensible safe distance. Are you willing to testfiiy otherwise? Hmmm?
Top Tip: If you don't like people disagreeing with you, it's probably not a good idea to post an opinion here.
:okay:

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

We routinely charge motorists for various acts of negligence on our roads that cause injuries and fatalities. The severity of charges run across the spectrum. The cause could be talking on the phone, not paying attention to rash acts. Mostly innocuous in nature, sometimes stupid but the consequences can be bad.

So there is indeed legislation for stupidity. Not just for traffic offences. We and other countries do have legislation that handle rash and negligent acts.

This should not be any different. Hopefully it will help reduce further incidents.

On the civil front I understand that some riders are planning civil suit after ASO announced they are not pursuing. My guess is that after talking to the Gendarmes, any proceeding will not lead to recovery as she might not have the means. It is a costly exercise in France as is in the UK.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think that without an understanding of the intricacies of French law, we're all a bit stuck.

If anything happens it will probably take so long that by the time it does happen we'll all have forgotten about her and found something else to be furious about.

Good morning,

Firstly I know nothing about French law but going to court is often dangerous as you can turn out to be the one in the wrong, legally and you ask questions that nobody wants answering.:smile:

Before you decide that I am nut case for the following, remember the cyclist found partially at fault when someone walked out in front of him while using a mobile phone.

From what I saw on TV you could describe the accident in the following way.

.......... Part of the cause of the accident was that the cyclist was going very fast on a public road and overtaking other cyclists whilst very close to the edge of the road knowing full well that he wasn't leaving himself any time or room to avoid obstructions in the road.

Of course this is the TdF, it was perfectly normal racing behaviour and the road was closed to other vehicles, but not people.

Had the road been open I suspect that most of use would describe the behaviour of the peloton and supporting vehicles as unacceptable.

So this could open up the question of what, if any, responsibilities of the road user in relation to the safety of others change if the road is closed to public access?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the legal people will have to argue none, from this it could easily follow that road racing on closed roads is not entirely "rider/spectator beware" and that Tony Martin was a fault for not riding slower and not allowing space for a person waving a cardboard sign in the road.:laugh:

This would not be an answer that any road race organiser would want to see in black and white.

Bye

Ian

icowden

Veteran
Of course she bloody did! She stuck it out into the road so that the TV cameras would pick it up better!

That's true, but it's also fairly clear that she did not intend to cause the TDF to have a massive crash. She has some culpability for being an idiot but it's hard to see what criminal offence she could be charged with.

Top Bottom