Women’s Rugby World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Totally under the radar with virtually zero reporting.
England are favourites to win but will be tricky in NZ. They currently hold the record for most consecutive wins and are far more successful than their footballing counterparts.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Great start to the campaign against Fiji! 🏉

Let's not forget the football result last night, too ⚽

AndyRM

XOXO
It's the first article on the BBC Sport website currently...

Realistically, there are 3 teams who could win the tournament, England, New Zealand and France. I don't see a fully professional side annihilating a team of amateurs being much to get excited about, or how it helps advance the women's game.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's the first article on the BBC Sport website currently...

Realistically, there are 3 teams who could win the tournament, England, New Zealand and France. I don't see a fully professional side annihilating a team of amateurs being much to get excited about, or how it helps advance the women's game.

I agree that winning by 80 points helps no one.
It’s interesting to see how poor SA are. I would expect them to be better.
Englands B team would almost certainly make the quarter finals.

AndyRM

XOXO
I agree that winning by 80 points helps no one.
It’s interesting to see how poor SA are. I would expect them to be better.
Englands B team would almost certainly make the quarter finals.

I'm not, they aren't very good, ranked 11th in the world.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Totally under the radar with virtually zero reporting.
England are favourites to win but will be tricky in NZ. They currently hold the record for most consecutive wins and are far more successful than their footballing counterparts.

There's been a bit about it on local BBC here, including a reasonably in-depth (ie more than a few seconds mention) bit on the Friday night before the tournament started. Probably because of the number of Gloucester-Hartpury and Bristol players involved in the England and Wales teams and that locally, particularly Gloucester, rugby is more important than football.

...are far more successful than their footballing counterparts.

Although not against the same opposition. ;-)

ENG-FIJ was pretty dull.

WAL-SCO got pretty exciting in the last 10 minutes!

Nz-AUS - didn't see it. Sounded an exciting 1st half. Did see the Haka, which was quite fun!

I find it interesting the tactical differences with the mens game [because that's what I'm used to, and the mind gets used to certain things over many years]; the most obvious is the kicking. The men will have a go at penalty kicks from the half-way line. Whereas the women possibly have about half the range - so they kick for touch almost all the time. And conversion points are very rare.

AndyRM

XOXO
Gutted for Scotland, can't see us beating NZ next week. We've been so close in both our games so far, it's really tough to take.

Proper test for England today which they got through.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Gutted for Scotland, can't see us beating NZ next week. We've been so close in both our games so far, it's really tough to take.

Proper test for England today which they got through.
Yes,Scotland can’t quite get the win. So close but can’t finish it off, job for the coaches.

Good win for England against one of the other fully pro teams. I’d be surprised if two of England, France and NZ are not in the final. Canada are a wild card.

AndyRM

XOXO
Didn't see the Scotland match but did see the England match, France certainly gave them a game didn't they?

Best of enemies was how I heard them described on the radio. Seemed fitting! Good for England to get a proper game in early doors. Pointless getting deep in the competition against amateurs then falling apart against pro opposition.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I do wonder how well England will cope with both being favourites and the unbeaten run, the latter I think could be a mental burden the farther into the tournament they go, and I do worry that, psychologically, the longer it goes on the harder they will find it to keep it going.
I could be wrong and it may give them a 'we can win this' mindset that could carry them through very tough matches as demonstrated against France.

Top Bottom