Women Drivers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spasspecker

This really isn't just a sexist rant because a "white van woman" nearly wiped me out at a busy roundabout this morning I promise......However, I have now been a cycle commuter for around 4 months and the fact as I see it is that in that the majority of women in cars pass an awful lot closer to cyclists than men do. Now I know there are a lot of good women drivers out there but nobody is going to tell me that they can judge a gap to pass by you within what seems like a few inches.
The thing I have noticed is they seem to try to stay within the white line down the middle of the road even when there is no oncoming traffic and they would rather squeeze a cyclist than go over the line.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour or is it just the good women on the Isle of Thanet who behave this way?

Robson3022

:eek: Have you donneda flame suit this morning!

All the best. Its been nice knowing you :smile:

(I actually find the total opposite but don't tell anyone)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
7 years cycle commuting an average of 35 miles a day in London and can tell you that male drivers are way ahead in the majority of crappy drivers.

sabian92

Über Member
If you are getting close overtakes by women, if you get the chance to (don't swerve though, it won't end well :biggrin:) ride a bit further out and force them to think.

Better to have somebody behind you thinking than overtaking you blindly and nearly killing you.

OP
OP
Spasspecker

Spasspecker

7 years cycle commuting an average of 35 miles a day in London and can tell you that male drivers are way ahead in the majority of crappy drivers.
A bad male driver is probably more of a danger than a bad female driver but if I feel that a car has passed by a bit too near and I have a look at them it is more likely to be a woman in my experience.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Wonder if it's just law of averages. Seems there are more male than female cyclists, therefore the proportion of drivers who are also cyclists are inclined to be males and give cyclists more consideration when they are driving. I am female and also give cyclists plenty of room and consideration but that is maybe more due to the fact that I cycle myself.

MissyR

This really isn't just a sexist rant because a "white van woman" nearly wiped me out at a busy roundabout this morning I promise......However, I have now been a cycle commuter for around 4 months and the fact as I see it is that in that the majority of women in cars pass an awful lot closer to cyclists than men do. Now I know there are a lot of good women drivers out there but nobody is going to tell me that they can judge a gap to pass by you within what seems like a few inches.
The thing I have noticed is they seem to try to stay within the white line down the middle of the road even when there is no oncoming traffic and they would rather squeeze a cyclist than go over the line.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour or is it just the good women on the Isle of Thanet who behave this way?

Oh really?! Thats a bit rude isn't it? Some women (myself included) are very good at judging the gaps at passing right down to cms rather than inches!

OP
OP
Spasspecker

Spasspecker

I'm really not saying men are better drivers as I don't believe that is the case at all, men are far more likely to overtake on a bend or whatever and play chicken with oncoming traffic so I guess it all balances out in the end.

Top Bottom