Women specific?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igor73

My wife currently rides a 2016 Liv Alight, which is decent but she's not too comfortable with the caliper brakes and I prefer disc brakes, so after looking around I'm upgrading to a Merida Crossway 300, which is good spec for the price and perfect for me for a moderate touring bike. Having looked at women specific bikes none seem to give as good value for money when it comes to their spec. Anyway my thoughts are to get her the same as I'm getting but I know that the geometry for a women's frame is different to mens frames, but with an adjustable stem I'm hoping it would be ok? Any advice would be welcomed, cheers.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm a recent convert to the school of thought that most women don't require a different geometry to men and gender specific bikes are largely a marketing tool. We looked at Liv bikes but my wife didn't find they were any better to ride than a well fitting "man" bike. She chose a Giant Defy in white as it had good spec (105) for the money, and It fitted and rode well. They're the most important things.

OP
OP
Igor73

Igor73

I'm a recent convert to the school of thought that most women don't require a different geometry to men and gender specific bikes are largely a marketing tool. We looked at Liv bikes but my wife didn't find they were any better to ride than a well fitting "man" bike. She chose a Giant Defy in white as it had good spec (105) for the money, and It fitted and rode well. They're the most important things.
Thanks for that, I'm probably going to get her the mens version but just want to be as sure as possible.

Oxo

Guru
Some time ago my wife got a women specific Trek FX, it had lower gearing than than the equivalent man's bike and, I think, shorter cranks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Let her testride and choose

Check out the R7 range from Whyte, rigid fork, disc brakes

I'm a tall woman, all my bikes now are men's (with women's saddle, narrower bars and a slightly shorter stem). Standard cranks as I have long legs and big feet

hepburn

Strangely enough I have just changed from a Merida Ride 94 to this Liv:- http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/liv-avail-advanced-1.html

It's a much more expensive bike and the difference in riding is immense. It is just so comfortable! The saddle in particular - I had no sore 'bits' whatsoever (sorry if TMI :blush:) . My neck and shoulders felt absolutely fine too. I am short though (5'2") so a female specific bike is perfect for me.

A test ride is the best thing though.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Take her somewhere where she can try different makes and models to find what suits her. Just getting the one you feel is best for her, could turn out to be an expensive mistake.

Top Bottom