Women's breathable waterproof jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
So I'm gradually accumulating some kit, having purchased a tent I now turn my attention to a light breathable waterproof jacket suitable for touring.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking to pay around the £150 - £175 (obviously cheaper would be good).

I've seen a Mermot Whisperlite jacket that claims to light, waterproof and brathable and a similar Berghaus Paclite - both using goretex paclite fabric, which I'd never heard of before.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts - On my 3 day Coast and castles tour last year I took my Sprayway walking jacket - weighs 665g - it never rained once!!!!

jags

Guru
paramo is supposed to be the dog's......:thumbsup: there a sale on at the moment and ebay sell seconds might be well worth checking out.

andy_spacey

Über Member
i have just got my jacket 2 days ago. I spent over a week looking then 3 days getting the list down, then 3 more days reading about the one i got.

Endura Venturi 2 Waterproof Jacket from http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/ £132 , delivered in lest than 24 hours.
Now...
The Endura venturi 1 is a eVent jacket, Is your extra small you got your self a bargin £70 http://www.rutlandcycling.com/16285...ogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid16285
If not £132 is the cheapest your get it but it is the top of the range and the review say it all.

paramo is good but more money. That was the other jacket i looked at but was £189
http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/outdoor_gear/info_PRMOQUITO-Paramo-Quito-Jacket.html

or Showers Pass Elite 2.0

Forget packlite, good for walking but not riding, I have a band new gore-tex jacket on 3 months old but i made the jump for a cycling jacket and I am happy I did.

There is a link open for this http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=42462.msg821111#msg821111

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've got the Evo and it's a fantastic winter jacket but I can only wear it in the evenings in spring and autumn and not at all during the summer.

Mind you, my heat tolerance threshold is a lot lower than other folks'. :unsure:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've got a paclite. As Andy said above, it is designed for walking rather than cycling, but I've used it touring with no probs, and it doubles up as a very light waterproof/windproof on those summer hillwalking days (which we do get now and then!) when you are pretty sure you aren't going to need one but you think you ought to take something...

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I have a Paramo jacket but it's far too heavy and bulky for touring. I took it on my Canadian tour and ended up sending it home. I replaced it with a Patagonia Torrentshell which worked fine, although having a hood isn't ideal for cycling. I've just been given a Rohan Elite Stormer jacket to try. I can't comment on it's performance as it hasn't rained since I got it!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I have a Paramo jacket but it's far too heavy and bulky for touring. I took it on my Canadian tour and ended up sending it home. I replaced it with a Patagonia Torrentshell which worked fine, although having a hood isn't ideal for cycling. I've just been given a Rohan Elite Stormer jacket to try. I can't comment on it's performance as it hasn't rained since I got it!
See I'm thinking I'd like a hood, as it'd be useful off the bike too.

I see you can buy a hood separately to fix onto the evo.

Coffeejo - I have the opposite problem, I'm very nesh, though I do get very sweaty on the uphills!

andy_spacey

Über Member
Which

Which jacket did you have buy Paramo?

andy_spacey

Über Member
If its hot you don't need a Jacket on all the time.
I got the Endura Venturi 2 Waterproof Jacket Because .
  • 3-layer PTFE Protection™ membrane fabric
  • Stretch 3-layer mapped to shoulder and underarm sleeve
  • Ergonomic pre-shaped elbows, and 360 degree reflective
  • Lower bonded handwarmer pockets
  • Waterproof zipper Napoleon pocket with integral glass wipe and media port
  • Adjustable cuffs on hem and collar, and laser cut inner storm flap
  • Rucksack compatible twin waterproof vents
  • Discrete zip off inner cozy wrist cuffs
  • Moulded rear LED loop and stash pocket
  • Compatible with optional hood
  • Waterproofness: 12,000mm
  • Breathability: 28,000gms Which is 6000gms more than eVent

andy_spacey

Über Member
I've got a paclite. As Andy said above, it is designed for walking rather than cycling, but I've used it touring with no probs, and it doubles up as a very light waterproof/windproof on those summer hillwalking days (which we do get now and then!) when you are pretty sure you aren't going to need one but you think you ought to take something...

I was so close to getting a Berghaus paclite,from GoOutdoors. They have been selling them for £60, 340g but then when i read up on long (muti- year)touring Blogs They got bad reviews and Thats why I did not, But they would works as all jackets do to a point. I think that will be the same for every jacket out there.
Good jacket to have in your jersey as a go to jacket for smaller ride, but not as your only jacket on long tours.

andy_spacey

Über Member
See I'm thinking I'd like a hood, as it'd be useful off the bike too.

I see you can buy a hood separately to fix onto the evo.

Coffeejo - I have the opposite problem, I'm very nesh, though I do get very sweaty on the uphills!

I got the hood and it fits Great, nice cut , 3D fittings, fits well under the helmet and you can flip back the peak, and when you not using it you can zip it of and pack it.

Top Bottom