Women's commuting saddle for hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am not using any cycling shorts...you mean padded ones? you have to wash them every day don't you? Sounds like a faff in the winter, but it's certainly an option for the summer. Or, y'know, if my bum rejects all other options!
Why is it a faff in winter? Do you not do laundry?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Padded cycling shorts are not a must! I don't use them for epic 100+ mile rides or commuting but rely on good bike fit, a good saddle (the Charge Spoon in my case) and a rear carved from granite!

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
Why is it a faff in winter? Do you not do laundry?
Hehe. Well I don't do laundry every day and things don't dry very quickly in my flat so I'd need at least a couple of pairs plus its another item of clothing to change when I get to work and go home. In the summer I wear unpadded shorts anyway and things dry faster so no problem then. It might be a good solution to my problems, but just adds more steps to my daily routine.

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
Padded cycling shorts are not a must! I don't use them for epic 100+ mile rides or commuting but rely on good bike fit, a good saddle (the Charge Spoon in my case) and a rear carved from granite!

For over 100 miles without padded shorts? That makes my eyes water thinking about it! I guess good fit and saddle can overcome painful problems even for long distance sometimes.
Either way, shorts or no shorts I've now got some saddle and clothing related ideas to improve comfort. thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you don't want to wear padded short, at least try seamless panties and wait for your behind to toughen up. If you find the tender areas (not the sit bones) are getting sore, Sudocreme can help, overnight and during the day. Applied liberally to clean skin

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
If you don't want to wear padded short, at least try seamless panties and wait for your behind to toughen up. If you find the tender areas (not the sit bones) are getting sore, Sudocreme can help, overnight and during the day. Applied liberally to clean skin
Cheers for the advice :smile: now you mention it I think I might have been riding in seamed underwear some days in the last couple of weeks (though that's not the norm) so maybe that caused some soreness. Sudocrem is amazing stuff isn't it! For real monster sore boil type fun I actually apply benzyl peroxide (unless it's too close to erm certain areas).

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
As a follow up I thought I l would report that I settled on a Bontrager affinity R 143mm saddle and it suits me well. I got some padded shorts for any longer rides I might do in the summer too :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Bontrager affinity R for me in a 155, have on the two bikes I ride most and have a spare that will go on the Ti bike when I eventually get one! A Specialized saddle was the most uncomfortable I've ever used
As an update from me, my spare affinity now adorns a Ti bike :biggrin:

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
As an update from me, my spare affinity now adorns a Ti bike :biggrin:

:smile: it's a really nice saddle for me. You clearly have impeccable taste! And nice to hear you got your new bike.

Top Bottom