Womens Endura firefly trousers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elflick

I'm looking for some comfortable quick drying trousers to wear while touring, that look good too. I wondered if anyone has got - or tried on the Endura firefly trousers

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=119&prod_id=90

I can't find them in any local shops to try them on. I'm worried that they will be really scratchy uncomfortable fabric. I've tried on quick drying 'walking' trousers from Craghoppers etc and they are super uncomfortable.

Also, do they have padding like cycling shorts? I found them under the 'baggies' section which I thought were baggy cycling shorts. The description doesn't say...

Any help/ideas/alternatives would be really appeciated!

Clickfast compatible means you can fit some lycra shorts with the clickfast studs into them so no padding. A rather short review at Bikeradar

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm looking for some comfortable quick drying trousers to wear while touring, that look good too. I wondered if anyone has got - or tried on the Endura firefly trousers

http://www.endura.co...=119&prod_id=90

I can't find them in any local shops to try them on. I'm worried that they will be really scratchy uncomfortable fabric. I've tried on quick drying 'walking' trousers from Craghoppers etc and they are super uncomfortable.

Also, do they have padding like cycling shorts? I found them under the 'baggies' section which I thought were baggy cycling shorts. The description doesn't say...

Any help/ideas/alternatives would be really appeciated!

I've got some and although they might fit your stated requirements I think they're pretty duff for the money. The fabric is not at all uncomfortable - it's quite soft. They also don't look that bad compared to most walking trousers, as they're flat-fronted rather than bunchy. They are very lightweight though, and I expected something a bit more rugged for the price - I had humvees once and would have been impressed with those if they hadn't worn quickly where they contacted the saddle. But my main problem with them is the ankles - the velcro is useless, and simply comes undone as soon as it brushes anything, as it just has two very weak contact points. Which means they get caught on your chainrings, causing constant annoyance. I haven't used them enough to comment on their durability. I bought them as I thought they might make passable pub/shopping trip wear if it was a bit rainy, and thought they might have touring use, but they are just too annoying.

OP
OP
E

Elflick

Ta for the replies!
Is this the velcros so you can take them off while leaving shoes on? Maybe could sew them up? Don't really need this feature. Otherwise they seem good. If not - any other recommendations?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ta for the replies!
Is this the velcros so you can take them off while leaving shoes on? Maybe could sew them up? Don't really need this feature. Otherwise they seem good. If not - any other recommendations?

You could get them over your shoes, yes, but principally it's so you can make them narrower at the ankles when riding to stop them flapping around near the drivetrain and suchlike - like built-in bicycle-clips, but less nerdy and conspicuous. Even if you don't need the feature (do you have a chainguard?), the failure of the velcro to fix reliably means the strap flaps about. It's seriously irritating. Mine are probably over a year old - it might be that they've improved the feature in a subsequent version.

Fiona N

Veteran
I wouldn't bother with walking trousers as such but mountaineering or guide trousers are usually good for cycling as they are:
cut with a seamless crotch (because they're made to be worn with a climbing harness),
stretch nylon fabric (Schoeller is the best) which is very hard-wearing (scrapping over rock on a regular basis) as well as comfortable, quick drying and windproof,
usually have some sort of articulated knees and drawcord or velcro hems (to fit over boots and keep snow out).

What's not to like? :biggrin:

I have an old pair of Berghaus Extremes which still look like new after maybe 7 or 8 years wear and tear. I use them to cycle to council meetings where they lool reasonably smart and not like the usual 'lycra'.

The only downside is the price - you'll usually be looking at upwards of £100 for good quality

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I had a look at the Fireflys last night to check I was giving the right info. It's the hooky bit of the velcro that's rubbish - you could replace it with a better one, but I'm the sort of person who doesn't get round to that kind of stuff. They have an ankle zip to get them over shoes. The sizing is quite generous for Endura - I'm usually a 14 and the L is roomy on me - a size smaller would look better but probably not as good for pedalling. Some bits of the design are quite good - no seams in the crotch, tougher canvassy stuff at contact points etc. The belty thing is a bit rubbish, with little stops that aren't big enough to stop it loosening.

Top Bottom