Women's Hour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
barq said:
I don't think there is any need for a Men's Hour because dominant groups are already well represented. Just the same as white people, middle class people and heterosexual people don't need special programmes because they are already very well served.

Feminism has achieved a lot, but it needs maintaining. Books like Ariel Levy's Female Chauvinist Pigs shows how easy it is to slip backwards. Women's Hour lacks the political bite that I'd like to see, but it's the Beeb so I guess radical gender politics are rather out the question. And these days I think it's strength is in its diversity.

Good call barq. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Sakura

I still find the content of WH the most interesting of any programme on Radio 4.

wafflycat

Speaking as a woman, in an ideal world, there'd be no need for a special 'woman's hour' programme. But, darn it, the programme often covers *interesting* subjects that are neglected by other serious radio broadcasts and which relate to men as well as women. These can be health issues, politics, consumer stuff... and as I say, stuff that is completely under the radar of other programmes yet can be incredibly thought-provoking and of interest to both men and women.

Top Bottom