Women's inclusion in cycling clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
We have some old gammons on mixed rides who are saying things like “ohhh look at the ar$e on that” etc. Totally out of order. They could at least be discreet if they can’t help themselves. No wonder cycling doesn’t attract enough women.
I'd agree but I also hope that anyone hearing that comment on a ride would immediately challenge the 'old gammons' spouting it - especially the men in the group - and bluntly tell them straight. I think I'd be asking them to leave the group because that is just so out of order - suggesting they be 'discreet' is just sweeping the issue under the table.

If we're going to look at challenging offensive comments, then once we've dealt with the leering-related, can we please deal with nasty phrases like "old gammons"?
kthxbai!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
What I find difficult to understand is how people have such a poor experience of clubs.

I've belonged to three over the past 27 years and I haven't encountered the issues described here. I would agree in relation to speed and/or distance it can be difficult to provide rides suitable for all members.

My club offers five weekend rides which vary in speed averages from 12/13 mph to 20+ and distance between 27 and 80+. There are those who consider we should introduce a sixth. This arose because the group which used to ride at 14/15 has improved to 16/17 (same riders) leaving a wide gap for the 12/13 riders to bridge. The problem from the club's perspective is just how many rides can we manage?
Apologies if this has already been commented on . If the club has 5 speed groups, presumably evenly spread , the improvers from the 14/15 mph group should have stepped up a group. Not taken away an improvement route for the 12/13 mph . sorry Paul. Just my view .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Apologies if this has already been commented on . If the club has 5 speed groups, presumably evenly spread , the improvers from the 14/15 mph group should have stepped up a group. Not taken away an improvement route for the 12/13 mph . sorry Paul. Just my view

I see exactly what you're suggesting but our structure isn't quite like this. We have four weekend rides, Saturday 12/13 and 16/17 (was 14/15), Sunday 16/17 (was 14/15), 20+ and one which is straightforward 50 mile blast, no cafe at around 17/18.

So as the 14/15 ride improved there wasn't a ride to move up to. It's an intractable difficulty. A group of riders improve their form over a period of time, not deliberately it happens - I do know how and why but - and a club shouldn't restrict this.

I can't pretend to know the solution. People improve there riding which creates gaps, they shouldn't be held back. Equally a cycle club cannot simply create more and more rides to accommodate everyone.

We do need a 14/15 ride but as always it requires people to organise it. We've deliberately moved away from ride leaders as this role creates more difficulties than it solves. What we look for is "facilitators" - people who make things happen - and so someone needs to step forward and get things moving.

Related to facilitators and back on topic. I'm proud to say women's rides will be part of our programme in 2022. 2-3 female riders got together to sort this and with some committee support it's ready to launch in February.

A women's Christmas social ride is also happening. 22 signed up. This is a first for us.

Last Sunday one club ride was 60% women, another first for the club. I'm expecting the same ride to be 50/50 today - I'll find out in the car park at 9.00!!

A modern cycling club should be flexible, inventive and proactive. Possibly we're late to the party but things are happening.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I see exactly what you're suggesting but our structure isn't quite like this. We have four weekend rides, Saturday 12/13 and 16/17 (was 14/15), Sunday 16/17 (was 14/15), 20+ and one which is straightforward 50 mile blast, no cafe at around 17/18.

So as the 14/15 ride improved there wasn't a ride to move up to. It's an intractable difficulty. A group of riders improve their form over a period of time, not deliberately it happens - I do know how and why but - and a club shouldn't restrict this.

I can't pretend to know the solution. People improve there riding which creates gaps, they shouldn't be held back. Equally a cycle club cannot simply create more and more rides to accommodate everyone.

We do need a 14/15 ride but as always it requires people to organise it. We've deliberately moved away from ride leaders as this role creates more difficulties than it solves. What we look for is "facilitators" - people who make things happen - and so someone needs to step forward and get things moving.

Related to facilitators and back on topic. I'm proud to say women's rides will be part of our programme in 2022. 2-3 female riders got together to sort this and with some committee support it's ready to launch in February.

A women's Christmas social ride is also happening. 22 signed up. This is a first for us.

Last Sunday one club ride was 60% women, another first for the club. I'm expecting the same ride to be 50/50 today - I'll find out in the car park at 9.00!!

A modern cycling club should be flexible, inventive and proactive. Possibly we're late to the party but things are happening.
5 rides over 2 days , not 5 rides on Sunday morning. I should have read your post properly .
I just jumped in assuming it was like my own club .10 groups on a Sunday morning speeds from 12 mph to no limit. This includes a youth group with accredited adult leaders .So this provides for members to move between groups.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
5 rides over 2 days , not 5 rides on Sunday morning. I should have read your post properly .
I just jumped in assuming it was like my own club .10 groups on a Sunday morning speeds from 12 mph to no limit. This includes a youth group with accredited adult leaders .So this provides for members to move between groups.
That's impressive. What size is the club? I can't quite imagine the degree of organisation this requires. Do you have ride leaders or like us publish routes and the rides guide themselves?

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
That's impressive. What size is the club? I can't quite imagine the degree of organisation this requires. Do you have ride leaders or like us publish routes and the rides guide themselves?
500+ members, that’s all categories. Including Youths ,second claim etc . Degree of organisation, a dedicated club run secretary assisted by another committee member. Each group has a number of leaders to call on , they use ride with GPS . Thankfully for me and the club I have absolutely nothing to do with this .
Me, I couldn’t organise a heavy drinking session in a beer manufacturing plant sort of person .

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One of the most disturbing things for me on @PaulSB 's list of what was putting women off was 'the male gaze'

I know how I felt when I first started wearing lycra and I will admit to feeling self conscious. That gave me a negligible insight to part of the problem, but what it's like to be 'checked out' 24/7, I really can't imagine. I see it everywhere; supermarkets, wherever. Some guys just can't help themselves it seems. I've even been with my wife when she's been eyed up (and, no, it doesn't make me feel 'proud', or whatever, if anyone feels like making that 'joke') It frankly appals me.

I've been walking down the street and unintentionally caught the eye of a passing women. Her eyes drop immediately to the pavement, to avoid further contact. It makes me feel awful. But worse, I feel ashamed that she feels the need to do that. I have intimidated her, not me personally but my gender.

It really does not surprise me that some women want nothing at all to do with men and/or a predominantly male club. And I have to say, at the risk of inflaming the men's club, I can understand why - and it is men's fault. Face it guys, we're neanderthals sometimes.

Edit: sorry if I'm sounding overly emotional, it's just something that angers me :sad:
I've been meaning to reply for days. I agree with everything you say. One thing I do need to make clear, and I didn't before, this quote, and it was one, came from a woman who was talking about stopping to fix a mechanical, puncture etc. and feeling inadequate as a bunch of guys watched.

Equally wrong but nothing like as serious as the interpretation you put on my comment. Just to repeat I do agree with everything you posted and it was my poor phrasing, well knowing what I was thinking really, which gave you a different impression.

Milzy

Guru
I have seen a Middle Aged man riding in a Le Col drops jersey. This is the uci women’s team jersey.
Does it really matter? I bet he doesn’t even know it’s a women’s team.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have seen a Middle Aged man riding in a Le Col drops jersey. This is the uci women’s team jersey.
Does it really matter? I bet he doesn’t even know it’s a women’s team.
Did it fit? If so, no problem.

I'm sure the sponsors wouldn't mind.

Top Bottom