Women's pro road racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Women's road racing has never grabbed me. But I may have found a way in. By chance I found myself listening to the Cycling Podcast Feminin the other day. They had a most interesting feature about the daughters of famous names I knew from the 80's who are now racing, e.g. the daughters of Maggy Backstedt, Chris Walker and Rob Holden are three they mentioned. It gives me a few more names to recognise other than Lizzie Deignan and Marianne Vos. In fact the whole programme was very listenable to. I may well be about to follow their advice to find the conclusion of the women's Strade Bianche on the internet.

Lee_M

Guru
womens road racing is much better than mens IMHO. A lot more going on, more possible winners, and shorter and therefore dont have to sit through 200km of nothing much until something happens.

and probably (with no evidence of course) less drugs

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
womens road racing is much better than mens IMHO. A lot more going on, more possible winners, and shorter and therefore dont have to sit through 200km of nothing much until something happens.

and probably (with no evidence of course) less drugs
^pretty much this

Proto

Legendary Member
I'm told 50% don't get paid. However, riders for UK teams Team WNT and Drops get paid a low monthly salary. Wiggle will be getting paid reasonable money.

Fairly sure there are drugs about. For example, Tour de Femenin in Czech republic, 2015 winner (a Russian) was banned just before the start of the 2016 race. Her substitute had recently come back after serving a ban.

No testing at the Tour of the Ardeche, and in 2016 some very decent UK noted climbers, who ride at UCI WWT level, got destroyed day after day. More than suspicious, to my mind.

Last edited:

Lee_M

Guru
I'm told 50% don't get paid. However, riders for UK teams Team WNT and Drops get paid a low monthly salary. Wiggle will be getting paid reasonable money.

Fairly sure there are drugs about. For example, Tour de Femenin in Czech republic, 2015 winner (a Russian) was banned just before the start of the 2016 race. Her substitute had recently come back after serving a ban.

No testing at the Tour of the Ardeche, and in 2016 some very decent UK noted climbers, who ride at UCI WWT level, got destroyed day after day. More than suspicious, to my mind.

to be fair my last statement (about the drugs) was only added to add a frisson to the conversation :-)

lyn1

Über Member
There will be an opportunity to watch the Tour of Flanders live, for those outside Belgium, on the following site

http://www.rondevanvlaanderen.be/en...l-bring-podium-presentation-and-tour-flanders

Just spotted a tweet by Ellen van Dijk re the money "awarded" to each rider for racing the following events:

Nieuwsblad: € 22,67
Hageland: € 41,12
Driedaagse De Panne: € 11,92
Gent-Wevelgem: € 21,62
Dwars door Vlaanderen: € 76,74
Tour de Yorkshire: approx. € 600,-

That is awful, but good to see that TdY paying well above a lot of "bigger" events (albeit they are one-day races)

I think the Women's Tour in the UK has a prize pot of circa £90,000

Top Bottom