Women's saddle position question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I'd like a bit of help working out what to do about my saddle position.

Every so often I realise I'm not sitting on my sit bones but my weight is mostly on my genitalia. This can be a bit of a problem going over bumpy bits!

After a shuffle I'll be back on the sit bones, but will eventually have moved forward a bit further along.

Tips for repositioning the saddle to keep the weight on the sit bones?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The saddle can move fore and aft along it's rails so there should be enough adjustment to slide it forward a bit if you slacken the bolt. It could also be that you are using too long a handlebar stem.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Is the saddle level? Could be too far back on the rails, could be the bike is too big, could be the stem is too long, could be the wrong saddle in an anatomical sense.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Sara, Brompton I don't know, but on my hybrids sliding the saddle a bit forward has solved this problem.
Of course maybe the saddle is the problem, try swapping it with one from your other bikes?

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Hi Sara, Brompton I don't know, but on my hybrids sliding the saddle a bit forward has solved this problem.
Of course maybe the saddle is the problem, try swapping it with one from your other bikes?
Thanks Pat, I'll try moving it forward. I thought a change of position would be worth a try, but I couldn't work out which way to move it!

simongt

Guru
As a Brompton owner, suggest the standard advice of starting with the saddle level; i.e., no 'nose up / down'. Some precise folk use a spirit level, but you should be able to do it 'by eye'. As you appear to be moving forwards, it sounds like the saddle has a slight downward tip at the front. Sort this out first. Next is to slide the saddle forward / backwards on its rails. Forwards will give a slightly more upright riding position, backwards a slightly more downwards sloped position. The important thing is to do these last adjustment in small increments; literally about 5mm / 1/4" at a time, then have several days worth of riding to see if further adjustments need to be made. Hope this is of use. :thumbsup:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I put a lady specific sadle on my wife's bike.
she has it well forward and tilted nose down about 5-10 degrees ish..she is a happy bunny with it like that.

I'd like a bit of help working out what to do about my saddle position.

Every so often I realise I'm not sitting on my sit bones but my weight is mostly on my genitalia. This can be a bit of a problem going over bumpy bits!

After a shuffle I'll be back on the sit bones, but will eventually have moved forward a bit further along.

Tips for repositioning the saddle to keep the weight on the sit bones?

I just bought a new saddle which cost me £80 because I was having the very same problem, but, the day before it arrived I was going on a very long ride (over 5 hours long!) so, I adjusted my saddle by putting the nose end slightly down (very slightly) and, after my long ride I was perfectly fine!! So, my new saddle arrived and I sent it straight back!!! That, plus chamois cream works wonders!! All you can do is try!! I hope that helps a little!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it helps, a well-shaped saddle will "cup" your sit bones and hold you in a balanced position with only minimal weight on your hands. For me this means something like a Charge Spoon or Knife or the women's equivalent, a Ladle I think. There are three adjustments you can make; fore and aft, angle and height. I'd suggest you start by sorting out the saddle height to ensure your legs are not bent or too stretched. Once that's done, sort out the height of the bars to get the best weight share and then fine tune the distance from the bars and the angle, so as to ensure no discomfort. For me this means most of my weight on the sit bones and a little weight on the perineal area but I'm a bloke.

If you post pictures on here of the bike and then you on the bike, taken from the side, there are plenty of experienced people who will give you their opinion.

fimm

Veteran
@Sara_H says she has a Brompton, so seat height will be slightly different every time she unfolds it!
As a female Brompton owner, I can't think that I've ever noticed this issue - but I do have a weird fat saddle which I had lying around that I put on the B after the original saddle wore out, and I don't do long distances on it. I think I'd suggest moving the saddle forward a little bit to start with.
Note that a lot of saddle/position advice assumes that you are on a road bike and the position on a Brompton is totally different and much more upright.

Top Bottom