Women's Tour - "SPOILERS"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The BBC Breakfast news gave the race plenty of exposure and that has to be good, again. I might just question this morning's coverage where it was featured ahead of the Tour of California and the Giro wasn't mentioned at all, but that is the way it goes.
Having a rest/ transfer day today, so not much to report, I guess ... :smile:

BBC Breakfast was reporting the previous day's action - Kittel coming from miles back to pip Swift was a hot story. The second biggest bike race in the world should have been covered in my view - and ahead of the comparatively minor races they did cover. BBC still learning I suppose.

Or perhaps you are using Socratic irony......(is there a wink smiley??/)

Thinking about the UCI rules on the length of stages for women's races - let's not forget the basic bodily need to take on fluids and also to dispose of same. This is much simpler for men. You might notice that the TV cameras switch discreetly away when men need to unload. The same courtesy might not be extended to women. Ask Paula Radcliffe. This is quite likely to be part of the reason for the rule. I have no doubt that the women could do the distance - and the climbs.

Thinking about the UCI rules on the length of stages for women's races - let's not forget the basic bodily need to take on fluids and also to dispose of same. This is much simpler for men. You might notice that the TV cameras switch discreetly away when men need to unload. The same courtesy might not be extended to women. Ask Paula Radcliffe. This is quite likely to be part of the reason for the rule. I have no doubt that the women could do the distance - and the climbs.
http://marijndevries.nl/?p=4123

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You don't think. It seemed pretty flat out from the off. A few stages averaging 26mph. it didn't look like they couldn't cope with longer stages.

If they had longer stages, it would make for a very different kind of race, surely - and possibly lose what made it so exciting. I loved the swashbuckling nature of it.

Anyway, I thought whether or not they could cope with longer distances was more down to the resources and support available to them for training, rather than physiology. They just don't get the chance to prepare for longer races in the way they would need to. (I suppose in some ways this makes women's cycling a purer version of the sport, being less tainted by money, but that's probably scant consolation for those trying to make a living from it.)

Anyway, I thought whether or not they could cope with longer distances was more down to the resources and support available to them for training, rather than physiology. They just don't get the chance to prepare for longer races in the way they would need to. (I suppose in some ways this makes women's cycling a purer version of the sport, being less tainted by money, but that's probably scant consolation for those trying to make a living from it.)

That's the nub of the matter. They don't have the resources, witness them using lwb vans and camper vans for the team, nor the money. Nor is there the prize money.

I still find it disappointing that there's so little, even after this tour, about any of the women's racing in the main cycling press. Even if you want to follow it, it's pretty hard to.

Rouleur did an article on her a few months ago so while good, I wouldn't credit them with too much in terms of original journalism there.
I hope you borrowed it Thom, otherwise I'll have to move you up an income bracket in my notebook.

fimm

Veteran
On the subject of distances, women race Ironman, that's a 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42km run. Not multi-day, of course. I've no idea if men recover better than we do. Equal prize money in Ironman, too.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Hence why Emma Pooley is also a triathlete - she uses it to fund her cycling. It's farcical that someone as talented as her can't make a living out of cycling.

Top Bottom